Is There A Way To Remove Writing From Cake?

Decorating By boothgirlz Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 5:04am by nesweetcake

boothgirlz Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 7

I have had the worst time with my writing and i really hate to do it. Sometimes it turns out ok but other times it doesn't. is there a way to remove writing from a cake after i screw it up??

Leann icon_sad.gif

6 replies
shelbur10 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 7

If you let it crust, sometimes you can pick it off with a toothpick. I've been known to just scrape it all off and refrost the top of the cake. Many times...

ayerim979 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

well it all depends what you made the writing with , you can definately scrape it off with buttercream

Have also heard of putting cake in freezer for a few min and as soon as it hardens remove. (never tried it though)

Good luck and let us know what worked for you

indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 7

get you some letter presses. it's the only way I can do decent writing on my cakes.

glendaleAZ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

I use a tooth pick to gently pick up the letters, right a way, off the cake. Maybe it my frosting choice, but the longer I leave the lettering on a cake the more the color bleeds into the icing. I also picked up some letter presses, they do come in handy, but I can't always use them. So, every once in a while I will just whip up a batch of royal icing and start practicing.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 7

We used to do this all the time at the grocery store bakery (I was just a bakery clerk, not a decorator). Scrape it off, use a hot spatula to smooth the icing back over, rewrite.

nesweetcake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:04am
post #7 of 7

I have two suggestions for you. First. Pipe your writing in white icing (if your cake is iced in white) Then pipe over it again in whatever color you wish. This will allow you a good "template" to follow with your colored icing and is easily removed. You will be able to pick up either the colored and not ruin the surface of your cake and have to "re-ice" the entire cake or if you goof up, you'll be leaving traces of white, not red or black or whatever color you are writing in.

Second. After your writing has crusted, use a piping bag with white icing in it and say a tip 2 squeeze a very small amount out the end of the tip, hold it down to the colored writing, it will act as a magnet and you will be able to pick it up off the cake without leaving toothpick marks and scraping marks. This also works well when you have a bag and the crusted icing might fall out of the back of the bag and drop on your cake or if you have a cake crumb that falls on the cake. .... the icing magnet! Good Luck, and practice, practice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%