Little Boy First Birthday

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 2:17am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi All

I am making my nieces (4 yo) and nephews (1 year old) a cake each for the birthday (they are having a joint party). I planned on making my nephew a farm themed cake but after making all of the figurines etc for my nieces cake I am totally burnt out and cannot be bothered. I love him but at one he doesn't know the difference (and has never had cake I don't think icon_smile.gif).

I am hoping someone can provide me with an idea of a cake for him? I like the idea of either a 8-9 inch round decorated or a sheet cake that is cut out or maybe a half-ball sports pan but nothing overly complicated.

I prefer fondant to buttercream. I am stuck because at 1 he still does not have any particular interests. Stuff like Mickey Mouse and Spiderman is a little too old for him - he really is a little baby and I have already done sesame street stuff for my niece in the past.

At the same time I still want something special.

2 replies
ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 3

When I say cut out sheet cake I mean something like this

[img]http://davehall.com.au/images/tux-cake.jpg
[/img]

or something like this? http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/first-birthday-lion-cake-2007-09-14.htm

??

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 3

Here's one I did just today for a 2 year old.

I did a dump truck theme. Very easy - took me about an hour to do it. The 'cake board' was 3/4 inch plywood, with feet added. I then covered it with gold cake board paper (stapled it down, tape wouldn't work).

I got a toy dump truck from his mom, and gave it a good cleaning (or you could grab one from the dollar store). I used wooden dowels and fondant to create the support so it looks like it's tilting to 'dump' but not too far. And just make sure you do something to secure the front end down. It tipped carrying it out the door. Thankfully, no damage.

I lined the bucket with Saran, then cut and stack chocolate cake into the bucket, chocolate BC as I went. Made it into a bit of a point so it looked like it had been poured into it by a backhoe. Once done, I tucked the Saran down, and covered it with more crumbs. You may have to press the crumbs down to secure them to the icing.

Cover the board with a medium thick layer of choc. BC, scatter some crumbs.

I made a 'retaining wall' for the 'dumped' cake using candy Lego. I didn't 'mortar' them together, because I figured the kids would pick them apart.

Also used candy pebbles and scattered them, too. Press down to secure.

I tried to upload a pic, but it's too big, and I'm still trying to figure out this board.

Because they supplied the truck, and there was very little cake, I only charged $25. If I was to put a cake underneath, I'd charge at least $50.

Hope you like my idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%