Purple Icing Color

Decorating By Nanabug Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm by Nanabug

Nanabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanabug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 8

I can not get purple icing. I have tried Wilton purple & AmeriColor Regal Purple and both of them come out blue! What am I doing wrong ????
Thanks,
Nanabug (Debra)

7 replies
jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 8

I was always told you need to have milk in your recipe to achieve purple (violet) when using Wilton. That said however I use Americolor Regal Purple with no milk and get a very true purple. Maybe yours needs to sit a bit and develop a deeper color. HTH

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 8

I had the same issue when I made Lemon Raspberry Buttercream. No matter how much of the coloring I put in, it was blue!!! I think it was because I didn't put meringue powder in my icing. I just made purple last night in a batch that I had meringue powder in.

Oh, and I don't use milk in my buttercream, only water.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 8

Never thought of that but my icing always has meringue powder so maybe that is why I get purple.

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 8

When I posted about it when it happened to me, there were many theories, like the lemon extract 'bleached' it out, the Crisco had no trans-fat, milk, etc.

I should have 'experimented' with my leftovers by adding meringue powder and/or milk to see what worked and what didn't.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 8

Try adding some pink. Might help! icon_rolleyes.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 8

Or red.

Nanabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanabug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 8

I made another batch of icing & used meringue powder & also changed my vanilla flavoring to clear. I got a beautiful shade of purple. I do not know which of the two variables made the difference, but one (or both) of them did !! I thank those of you that answered with suggestions. CC is great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%