Buttercream Icing / Satin Ribbon

Decorating By creativeconfections Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 12:59am by creativeconfections

creativeconfections Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 4

We are doing a square buttercream iced cake and they want a satin ribbon as the base border of the layers - what is the best method to attach? I was going to back the ribbon with parchment, overlap on one corner and use double sided tape. Any suggestions or some do's and don'ts? I know it would work better on fondant but they do not want fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
notjustcake Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 4

I made a white square cake and attached satin burgundy ribbon around it, I put shortening on the ribbon so it would not get grease spots, the color did not bleed as far as I know but it might depending on the ribbon so ppl find this method not food safe but it is what the bride wanted.

good luck

phoufer Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 4

Much debate on this one. Some say use packing tape on back of ribbon or contact paper, some iron on waxed paper. I have to do this for a wedding cake in a couple of weeks, would like to know myself which is the best way. I will be using red ribbon so don't want that to bleed through.

creativeconfections Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 4

This is black ribbon (lucky) - I ran a test - put some buttercream on a plate, let it crust and then placed a piece of ribbon on it - left it 24 hours - no fadding or bleeding at all

Quote by @%username% on %date%