I'm New At This... Help?

Decorating By starryskyhearts Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm by Deb_

starryskyhearts Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:30am
post #1 of 21

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, but:
Alright, let me start off by talking about me. I'm Britanny, and I'm turning 17 on June 20th. I have a 7 week old son, so I've been home a lot recently. My favorite channel (during the day) is the Food Network. My favorite show, wouldn't you guess, is Ace of Cakes. It was watching this show that I realized I wanted to be a cake decorator.
So, I invested a little over $100 so far to get supplies.
Now the only problem is... I have no idea what I'm doing. Watching videos online and all that jazz is helping a lot, but I think I would benefit a lot more from hands-on help from someone who knows what they're doing. So, my main question here is: Is there anyone in the Northshore Massachusetts area who can tutor me?
Or, Does anyone know of a bakery where I can work to learn the basics?.

If not, then that's fine. Any links to videos that can help me are appreciated also.
Well, thanks for reading this, and for any further help. I hope to make some good friends (or at least cake-buddies) here.

~Britanny=]]

20 replies
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:21am
post #2 of 21

Hi Britanny, welcome to CC

Look for tutorials on youtube, that what first got me started.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:34am
post #3 of 21

Why don't you take the Wilton classes? They're not expensive, you've probably already got the supplies you need for it, and they're a great way to learn the basics.

starryskyhearts Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:44am
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Why don't you take the Wilton classes? They're not expensive, you've probably already got the supplies you need for it, and they're a great way to learn the basics.

I called the place where they are held in this area, and I missed the deadline to sign up by like, two days. The woman i talked to didn't know when the classes would be starting again.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:59am
post #5 of 21

I never took the classes...no time with taking care of my kids and working. I bought a Wilton yearbook and just practiced the stuff in the how-to section. It was a slow way to do it and I never could make a buttercream rose until I got the internet to show me how icon_biggrin.gif Wilton's also kind of behind the rest of the world when it comes to fondant.

There's a lot you can learn on cakecentral, and with videos on youtube.

Don't get offended but you're probably too young to work in most bakeries because of their insurance.

merrywood Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:25am
post #6 of 21

Hi Brittany! Have you looked into working in a grocery store bakery? I don't think many of those people have a lot of previous experience and your age (which they can't ask anyway) might not be against you. You won't learn how to do Ace of Cakes stuff but you will certainly master the b/c rose and the use of a star tip! Or - as others have said, watch the videos or get a book and just go to it. Volunteer to make cakes for your friends and family birthdays. I would get as much done as possible before that 7-month old can walk and talk!

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:56am
post #7 of 21

Congratulations on your new baby!

The best advice I can give you is to just bake a cake for every family/friend occasion to get as much practice you can. Practice makes perfect is very true when it comes to this business.

I know you want to jump in quickly but it really does take some time to get to where the "Ace of Cake" guys/gals are. Heck I'm on my 25th yr and I'm not even close! icon_lol.gif

BTW I've learned more here on CC then in any of my classes that I've paid for. Youtube has also been very helpful to me as I'm a "visual" learner.

Good luck,
Hang around these boards and you'll pick up a lot of great tips!
Deb icon_smile.gif

starryskyhearts Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:46am
post #8 of 21

Thank you to all who have posted here! Any advice anyone can give me(about anything), I greatly appreciate! To all of those saying to watch videos, do you have any good links for me? And to those recommending books, any you'd suggest?

Just a note, I want to learn to decorate with frosting. I won't cross out the option of fondant, but I would prefer to work with frosting (to those suggesting).

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #9 of 21

Look up under "memberlist" "tonedna" she has some links to her youtube tutorials right in her profile. Also "serious_cakes" has some great helpful ones too.

Hey, if you need any "Mom" help just post in the "Lounge", there's a lot of veterans here who are always willing to help when we can!

How is the little guy sleeping?

starryskyhearts Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Look up under "memberlist" "tonedna" she has some links to her youtube tutorials right in her profile. Also "serious_cakes" has some great helpful ones too.

Hey, if you need any "Mom" help just post in the "Lounge", there's a lot of veterans here who are always willing to help when we can!

How is the little guy sleeping?

Wonderfully. In general, he sleeps whenever i sleep. He's just absolutely wonderful. He's 7 weeks old today.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 21

oooooohhhh lucky you........you got a good one!!! icon_lol.gif

starryskyhearts Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 21

Dkelly: I checked out the people you recommended; Awesome suggestions, thanks so much!

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #13 of 21

Very welcome..........glad to help out a fellow MA girl!! Although I'm about an hour away from you, I'm closer to Providence, RI then Boston.

Are you a Sox fan?

starryskyhearts Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:

Very welcome..........glad to help out a fellow MA girl!! Although I'm about an hour away from you, I'm closer to Providence, RI then Boston.

Are you a Sox fan?

Not really all that into sports, actually. I support them though because they're the home team. I actually just moved here from western Mass. What area are you in?

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 21

I'm about an hour south of Boston..........ever hear of Attleboro, Seekonk, Rehoboth? Probably not,but that's the area I live in.

When I hear some of the towns from Western, or Northern Ma I'm like "where?" MA is bigger then ya think it is, half the towns I've never heard of. icon_biggrin.gif

artscallion Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:

I'm about an hour south of Boston..........ever hear of Attleboro, Seekonk, Rehoboth? Probably not,but that's the area I live in.

When I hear some of the towns from Western, or Northern Ma I'm like "where?" MA is bigger then ya think it is, half the towns I've never heard of. icon_biggrin.gif

It just occurred to me, dkelly, that we probably shop in the same Michaels (though I actually buy most of my stuff online now, unless I can't wait for delivery.) I usually go to either the Seekonk or Attleboro store.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #17 of 21

Yup, me too Attleboro or Seekonk. LOL we've probably had a conversation there because I usually talk to anyone who is also looking at cake stuff!

Do you go to J A R Baker's Wholesale in Lincoln, RI? They sell hi-ratio, boxes, boards and a lot of other stuff. If not let me know and I'll send you their address.

artscallion Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #18 of 21

It's about 3 miles from my house. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #19 of 21

Cool thumbs_up.gif We've probably seen each other there too! icon_biggrin.gif

How about the place a little down the road (past Stop and Shop) on the same side actually I think it's called "Dyane's Sweet Tooth".

I tried to go there once but it was on a Sunday or Monday and they were closed. I was wondering what kind of supplies she/he sold.

Wait........don't tell me that's your place!! icon_lol.gif

artscallion Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:

How about the place a little down the road (past Stop and Shop) on the same side actually I think it's called "Dyane's Sweet Tooth".

I don't generally go there. While they do have some basic caking supplies, they're more geared to weddings (toppers, netting, favor making stuff)) and candy making.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #21 of 21

Oh OK, I guess I don't have much need for that stuff either. Hey, maybe we'll meet at Michaels someday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%