06.12.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm by mom2spunkynbug

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:51am
post #31 of 58

lol to the queen joke, lenette.

I'm making cookie dough and looking at pictures for inspiration. Colors are black, light blue and silver. I just about never make cookies, but I finally get to use some raspberry fondant I made a while back that just wasn't strechy enough at all to cover a cake with. Tasty, though. It's pink but I'm coloring it black. I tie dyed today and I'm worried about kneeding fondant tomorrow with stained hands.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:58am
post #32 of 58

This is the first time I have posted on the Friday night cake club,I normally wait until Sat. to do my cakes but hubby is at work and my youngest is asleep,anyway I am trying my luck at constructing a deer head for my oldest sons b-day which also happens to be Sun.June is a good cake month for me,3 of my 4 children all have their b-days this month the 8th,14th and the 30th. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:02am
post #33 of 58

Hi, koko,
I'm not far from you. ::waves::

But I'm headed off to bed. Keep each other company tonight and keep on cakin'.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:05am
post #34 of 58

LOL lenette! icon_biggrin.gif

Sayhellojana - you could get food gloves. Michael's sells the Wilton brand of gloves. I think you get like 10 pairs or something.

JUST MY LUCK, there's something wrong with my fondant! I put chocolate clay into Satin Ice white fondant and now there are little specks/chunks of chocolate in the fondant! icon_cry.gif It IS brown, but there's just millions of specks. Not what I expected. I made choc fondant before and this never happened (but I also made my own vanilla fondant base). Any suggestions??? icon_cry.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:46am
post #35 of 58

Hey all. Hope everyones night is going well. I'm working on roses for my brothers wedding. I am airbrushing them pearl and pink. They look great so far...however...I've been trying to make "babys breath". Yeah, not working out so well. I'm using the 21 piece set and book from wilton, I think. It's the green/black book with green cutters. Anyway, I just can't get them to work right. I'm at the point of throwing the darn things!!!! Any suggestions?!!!!!!!!!!!

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:59am
post #36 of 58

I'm up having a cake disaster: icon_cry.gif 3 tier graduation cake with swag and flowers.....damn fondant is sweating...im trying to wait until it decides it wants to aclimate to the room before i add the swags and stuff- Is that the right thing to do?... You wouldn't believe the hoopla over this dang on cake. Mother of graduate does not keep open communication. Decides to postpone party;then because I tell her I cannot freeze until next weekend decides to go through with it. Especially since the cake is on me of course. And I told her I could not take a day off from "work" to have a repeat performance next week. I am in the mood to cry. I am trying to hold myself together cause I know if I start acting moody I am going to ruin the hole damn thing. icon_redface.gif

I hope you cakers are having a better time than me.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy

mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:10am
post #37 of 58

OMG WTH is going on tonight?! icon_cry.gif Seems as though I'm not alone being up late trying to work with disaster!

I finally got the specks out of my fondant...just had to keeeeeeeep kneading. Well...went to cover the cake and the fondant ripped (almost fell on the iced cake). Re-kneaded & re-rolled out. Put on cake. All along the edge it's tearing BIG TIME. Only on one side but still - it's so huge and unprofessional and I don't know what to do. It's a tuxedo cake so I can't cover it with any kind of decoration. And the rest of the fondant is attached pretty well to the cake. I feel like I should just "leave it."

I'm pretty much at the same point you are at Strawberry! I'm on the verge of tears!!!

icon_cry.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:12am
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

Hey all. Hope everyones night is going well. I'm working on roses for my brothers wedding. I am airbrushing them pearl and pink. They look great so far...however...I've been trying to make "babys breath". Yeah, not working out so well. I'm using the 21 piece set and book from wilton, I think. It's the green/black book with green cutters. Anyway, I just can't get them to work right. I'm at the point of throwing the darn things!!!! Any suggestions?!!!!!!!!!!!

I made some baby's breath the other day. I know it's in the Wilton book but I can't find mine right now, so I improvised. I took a tiny 5 petal cutter (mine is a scrapbooking punch) and made two flowers, thinned the petals, stacked them, folded in half, put a dot of gum glue and pinched it onto the wire.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:20am
post #39 of 58

No cakes for me this week. I have been sick all week so I didnt take any orders.....Just catching up on some much needed rest!

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:22am
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

OMG WTH is going on tonight?! icon_cry.gif Seems as though I'm not alone being up late trying to work with disaster!

I finally got the specks out of my fondant...just had to keeeeeeeep kneading. Well...went to cover the cake and the fondant ripped (almost fell on the iced cake). Re-kneaded & re-rolled out. Put on cake. All along the edge it's tearing BIG TIME. Only on one side but still - it's so huge and unprofessional and I don't know what to do. It's a tuxedo cake so I can't cover it with any kind of decoration. And the rest of the fondant is attached pretty well to the cake. I feel like I should just "leave it."

I'm pretty much at the same point you are at Strawberry! I'm on the verge of tears!!!

icon_cry.gif

What about filling in the tear with some royal icing colored to match? I've never tried it but I've seen them do it on TV shows and it seems to work.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:27am
post #41 of 58

I am working on 6 cakes this week. 5 done (last 5 in my pics). Pretty exhausted. Have class in the morning (or later) and have to do a 3 tier zebra cake tomorrow for my daughters graduation.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:32am
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

LOL lenette! icon_biggrin.gif

Sayhellojana - you could get food gloves. Michael's sells the Wilton brand of gloves. I think you get like 10 pairs or something.

JUST MY LUCK, there's something wrong with my fondant! I put chocolate clay into white fondant and now there are little specks/chunks of chocolate in the fondant! icon_cry.gif It IS brown, but there's just millions of specks. Not what I expected. I made choc fondant before and this never happened (but I also made my own vanilla fondant base). Any suggestions??? icon_cry.gif

Someone probably suggested, but:

Pick of a tiny piece and tint, tint, tint it brown! See if you can tint to a stage where the flecks blend in and 'disappear.'

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:38am
post #43 of 58

Hello to anyone who is still up.

I just finished over 100 cookies (diplomas and caps) when I thought I had 80. Fondantanted them and RI. They're for my son's graqd party tomorrow.

Now, I need to do his cake1 Ugh! I hadn't planned on an all-nighter but the day wasn't what I planned.

Hope all is going well for you guys now.

Deb

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:40am
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

I made some baby's breath the other day. I know it's in the Wilton book but I can't find mine right now, so I improvised. I took a tiny 5 petal cutter (mine is a scrapbooking punch) and made two flowers, thinned the petals, stacked them, folded in half, put a dot of gum glue and pinched it onto the wire.

Ok, you folded them in half, but where I got confused from the book it said to "place the wire by the flower, fold one side over, then the other". REALLY?!!!! It looked like a fricken blob of paste. So if I understand how you did it, you went ahead and folded two flowers in half (did you make the outside one bigger then the other?), then you just glued the wire to the center (inside the folded part). I'm sorry I'm being so darn stupid tonight!! I'm having a total brain fart!!!!! icon_surprised.gif I should have just stuck with what I was doing! Did I understand right? Thx Texas for helping!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Oh, and then did you pull the petals out a little to make them look a little more full, or did you just leave them folded in half? Thx again. I SURE APPRECIATE IT!!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:05am
post #45 of 58
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

Ok, you folded them in half, but where I got confused from the book it said to "place the wire by the flower, fold one side over, then the other". REALLY?!!!! It looked like a fricken blob of paste. So if I understand how you did it, you went ahead and folded two flowers in half (did you make the outside one bigger then the other?), then you just glued the wire to the center (inside the folded part). I'm sorry I'm being so darn stupid tonight!! I'm having a total brain fart!!!!! icon_surprised.gif I should have just stuck with what I was doing! Did I understand right? Thx Texas for helping!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Oh, and then did you pull the petals out a little to make them look a little more full, or did you just leave them folded in half? Thx again. I SURE APPRECIATE IT!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif I didn't really make the one bigger than the other, but if one got bigger while I was smoothing it, I used it for the inside one. It didn't need much fluffing, pinching the base of it made the petals stick out a little bit...and besides baby's breath flowers (the real kind) just look like blobs with petals sticking out here and there, to me. I didn't worry about every single one looking the same either. I had made the stems and taped them together before I made the flowers.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:06am
post #46 of 58

How's everyone's disasters coming along? thumbsdown.gif

I decided to take the fondant off of mine - I could NOT give it to the customer like that! I rolled out two halves instead of one big piece and that worked a LOT better. It's now sell-able (is that a word? I don't know @ 3am after fighting with a cake!)

Now I've got to do the details and then make tuxedo strawberries for the "border" Good thing it's not due 'til 2pm! I have no idea when I'll be done - but after that I can sleep! icon_sad.gif

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:23am
post #47 of 58

Well, it's 4:20am here and i just finished 1 cake- got another big one (for me anyway) today. Maybe I'll be in the bed by 5:30 or 6am, and up again by 10 or 11. I hope thats how it works out 4 me anyway!! I'm posting mine that I just finished- everyone check it out! It was a western/over the hill b-day.

auntbeesbaking Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:55am
post #48 of 58

Can someone tell me, can you use stucker sticks for dowels? I really need to dowel a 10" cake on my sheet cake. It's a really heavy cake since it's a deep dark chocolate.

Sigh. I hate it when things don't go as planned!

candoo Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:19am
post #49 of 58

I don't see why you couldn't use sucker sticks, as long as they're long enough and u have enough of them, but i've never tried them personally.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:31am
post #50 of 58

I wouldn't use lollipop sticks if they're the paper kind because they'll take on moisture from the cake and get too soggy to support the upper tier.

candoo Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:34am
post #51 of 58

Sorry! icon_redface.gif I didn't think of that!

auntbeesbaking Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:47am
post #52 of 58

Thank you for the tip about the lollipop sticks; I didn't think of that. I DID find a dowel after all! icon_biggrin.gif Cake is done and I'm heading to bed to catch a few zzzz's before my son's graduation party this afternoon.

Have a good Saturday, friends

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #53 of 58

It is now saturday afternoon, and I just got to bed about 4 hours ago..lol
My cake disaster remained as such and I awoke to a very leaning tower of cake, dang it all. AND THEY ARE STILL COMING TO GET THIS THING. I emailed them the pictures. I feel rotten, I have to make it over. My DM (not a caker) does not understand why I feel the need to make it over- since it was free and there was a lot of back and forth with if these people were even going to have their party....I told her "Mom" its the principal. If I would have charged that lady (my best friends mom) 200 or 300 bucks I would be dead wrong in handing in a cake that looks like that. Oh well, I hope everyone elses night was better than mine, better luck next weekend I suppose.

Happy caking,
Stacy

EDITED FOR MAJOR SPELLING ERROR icon_redface.gif Shoo after no sleep a cant believe I can still type, somewhat. icon_cry.gif

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #54 of 58

Strawberry, you've GOT to switch to SPS.

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #55 of 58

Thanks Leahs, I think no better yet I know I am going too. And what is funny is that I mentioned the system myself on a "help me" thread around here.....One never listens to ones advice no matter how sound. But I put way too much money into that disaster to have it it happen again. So am ordering my SPS very, very soon.

Happy caking,
Stacy

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #56 of 58

leahs -

Who sells the SPS, and who has the best price on it?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #57 of 58

It's made by Bakery Crafts. If you are a real business, you can set up an account with them. Best prices otherwise = Oasis Supply. However if you've got an order going in to GSA, they have it also. I always try to order as much as possible from one vendor to minimize overall shipping charges.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #58 of 58

Strawberry I'm so sad for you!!!

I went to bed at 5am with everything done & I was pretty satisfied!

Of course that is WAY too much time spent on a stupid little 8" cake!!! But my main problem was I didn't pre-order the fondant, so I spent a lot of time messing with semi-homemade junk.

I hope things went smoothly for everyone else!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%