Layers Not Even After Filling

Decorating By mpetty Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm by mpetty

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #1 of 12

My layers looked fine after I leveled them, but after torting and filling, now the top of the cake slopes around the edges. Could this be because I piped my dam about 1/2" inside the edge of the cake, trying to prevent the dreaded bulge? Maybe I should have piped right at the edge? I tried to keep the amount of filling level all around the cake.

Just trying to capture that beautiful, perfectly flat look I see so often on CC... icon_confused.gif

11 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 12

here's a bump for you! I have that same problem with square cakes, not so much rounds.

Hope someone can help! icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #3 of 12

the dam needs to be closer to the edge. That 1/2 inch that you are leaving can cause the cake to drop in the void and create the slope you seem to be getting. HTH

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #4 of 12

Leahs shared a new trick the other day. After you fill layers, wrap cake in plastic and place a tile ( I used a ceramic floor tile) on top of the cake, let it sit for 2-3 hours at least to settle (I left it overnight) then you can trim any bulges etc. It works great, my cake was nice and level. I did this for the wedding cake in my photos. HTH

jlynnw Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #5 of 12

Do you leave it at room temp or in the fridge? Crumb coated then fix buldge and then finish smooth icing finish? Do I have this right? Thanks for the tip!

phoufer Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #6 of 12

Yes leave it at room temp. Crumb coat after it has settled and you have trimmed any bulges.

jlynnw Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #7 of 12

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl!

phoufer Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 12

My pleasure. It worked like a charm for me! Good luck post pics when your cake is done.

mpetty Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:21am
post #9 of 12

Actually my problem is not with bulges on the side of the cake, but that the edges of the top slope downward. Here's a picture...

Oops, sorry jlynnw, I didn't read your post with both eyes open...guess I should have some coffee before posting, eh? icon_redface.gif
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 12

My first guess would be a leveling issue. Is the cake trimmed really level from side to side?

Are you "mounding" the filling in the middle of the cake? Make sure it's spread out flat and even. This is real easy to do ....mounding, I mean ... and you're not even aware you're doing it.

Agree with moving the dam out a bit. I place mine just slightly inside the edge ... slightly. Then, after stacking the 2nd layer on top, I use a decorating bag with no tip (with coupler ... without tip) and fill in the void. Give the turntable a spin and fill it in like caulking a tile!

jlynnw Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My first guess would be a leveling issue. Is the cake trimmed really level from side to side?

Are you "mounding" the filling in the middle of the cake? Make sure it's spread out flat and even. This is real easy to do ....mounding, I mean ... and you're not even aware you're doing it.

Agree with moving the dam out a bit. I place mine just slightly inside the edge ... slightly. Then, after stacking the 2nd layer on top, I use a decorating bag with no tip (with coupler ... without tip) and fill in the void. Give the turntable a spin and fill it in like caulking a tile!

like she said.

mpetty Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 12

Pretty sure it is, using the Wilton leveler, but will doublecheck.

Are you "mounding" the filling in the middle of the cake?

Trying to make sure I don't; figured that would cause problems, will make sure to doublecheck it, too.

after stacking the 2nd layer on top, I use a decorating bag with no tip (with coupler ... without tip) and fill in the void. Give the turntable a spin and fill it in like caulking a tile!

Fantastic suggestion!! I'll make sure to note your suggestions for my next try. Thanks to all for the help. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%