Can Someone Answer Questions About Cream Cheese Icing?

Decorating By andi_nicole Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 12:44am by andi_nicole

andi_nicole Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone, I need some help!

I have to make a baby shower cake and my friend wants cream cheese icing, which I have already made... but these are my questions:

once I ice the cake with the cream cheese icing, do I have to store it in the refrigerator?

can I use food coloring in cream cheese icing?

if yes, will my colors bleed once I take it out of the refrigerator?

if i use a basketweave tip, will my lines stay in my icing or will they melt away at room temperature?

5 replies
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 6

It depends on the recipe.

I used Edna's recipe and it was fine in room temp (with AC) for 24 hours. I suggest you refrigerate it though.

Yes you can tint it with any color. Use the gel ones.

Never had experience with bleeding.

Again it depends on the recipe. The ones I use stays on perfectly fine.

mixinvixen Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi_nicole

once I ice the cake with the cream cheese icing, do I have to store it in the refrigerator?

can I use food coloring in cream cheese icing?

if yes, will my colors bleed once I take it out of the refrigerator?

if i use a basketweave tip, will my lines stay in my icing or will they melt away at room temperature?

***not necessarily...depends on when you're giving the cake. i use cream cheese icing almost exclusively, and i've decorated and then delivered the next day, without refrigerating, thanks to the ver high sugar content.

***you can use any color you want to make whatever shade you need! if making a darker or primary color, you'll need to make the icing pretty stiff to compensate for the liquid of the color you'll be adding.

***your colors will not bleed, since it's mixed in with the cream cheese...it's never bled on me.

***if the icing is done stiffly enough, you shouldn't have any problems with it not keeping it's basketweave shape.

***MOST IMPORTANTLY>>>KEEP AWAY FROM HUMIDITY...THIS IS THE KILLER OF ALL THINGS CREAM CHEESE!

ShortcakesSweets Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 6

My experience with Cream Cheese Icing has been that as long as it is a freshly made batch it holds up fine. Once I refrigerate it the consistency is very difficult to work with.

Depends on temperature if I refrigerate after icing the cake.

You can tint cream cheese, but I usually have to add a little more powdered sugar for it to be stiff enough to decorate with.

keystone Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #5 of 6

I use the recipe from Earlene's in Texas. It is on her website. It is wonderful and holds up in heat... doesn't need to be refrigerated.

andi_nicole Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 6

thanks so much for all the answers.... what an awesome help you all are.. I knew cakecentral could help me out in no time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%