Single Tier Tropical Beach Theme For 60Th B-Day...

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm by beachcakes

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 21

I am SO excited! I just got a call today from my husband's old elementary school teacher. He wants me to make a cake for his wife's 60th surprise birthday party. Its only the 3rd cake Ive been asked to make for someone outside of work so Im really really excited!

But you know, its only for 20 people, so I was just thinking a single tier, elegant tropical beach style cake. Is it possible to make a single tier look elegant and formal without looking too much like a kid's birthday cake? Do you guys have any suggestions?

I would love to do a tiered cake because I think they just look so much more special, but I think it would just be way too much cake. Unless, maybe I do an 8" round base and use a jumbo cupcake for the top tier? Or would that be weird.

If you guys have any neat ideas Id love to hear it. Thanks!!!!!

20 replies
BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 21

I get that a lot, not many people but they love the look of a 2 tiered cake. I help them by making smaller tiers like you said, 10" and a 6", or 8" and 4", do what looks best to you. I do that for them and they like it because they can have 2 different flavors as well.

Sarah

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 21

congrats on your cake order. I made a single tier 10in round cake that feeds up to 25-ish for a bridal shower. It was a beach theme. I will try and upload if but if it doesn't work I will IM you. It's easy and elegant.
LL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 21

You could use a dummy for a second tier. I'm desperate to do an elegant tiered beauty, but nobody wants so many servings. So I'm investing in some dummies.

JCE62108 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

congrats on your cake order. I made a single tier 10in round cake that feeds up to 25-ish for a bridal shower. It was a beach theme. I will try and upload if but if it doesn't work I will IM you. It's easy and elegant.

Oh Thats beautiful! I didnt even think of shells. Why not! I just took an order at work today for a wedding cake with shells. lol. it should have occured to me. Oh that is nice. What are the shells made of? Maybe I could do chocolate. Thanks for the idea that looks sooo great! I think I may incorporate a few flowers too. Im not sure. I think I really want a 2 tier. Maybe a 10 and 6 or something like that. Thanks guys!!!

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 21

4littlewops your beach cake is adorable! did you use a cutter to make the seahorse? I love your cake!

cakesbydina Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #8 of 21

yes I used a cutter for the seahorse and the shells were made from fondant in a seashell mold and dusted with luster dust for sheen. Super easy. The starfish and sandollar were made by hand using the instructions in the book "confetti cakes".

hollyh Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #9 of 21

Thanks for the info! I have two beach cakes coming up and may try this one! Thanks for the inspiration!

cakesbydina Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:42am
post #10 of 21

your welcome and good luck!

JCE62108 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:35am
post #11 of 21

was that a chocolate mold that you used or was is specifically for fondant? I love the detail on the shells. Ill have to see if I can find a mold like that.

cakesbydina Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:40am
post #12 of 21

I purchased it from global sugar art. It's a silcone fondant mold.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 21

I feel stupid... I read elegant and one tier, and beach didn't register.
Must have more coffee... Image
Someone posted a few days ago, about making fondant shells. Instead of filling the molds solidly, she lined them with a sheet of it.

JCE62108 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 21

Do you think using fondant would turn out better than using white chocolate?

hollyh Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #15 of 21

Fondant has always worked really well for me with shells! I have never tried white chocolate.

cakesbydina Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:48am
post #16 of 21

I have not used these for white chocolate before. The molds are very deep and detailed and takes literally a second to press the fondant in and achieve the desired affect.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #17 of 21

Shells are actually pretty easy to make w/choc...if you marble the white w/a little milk choc it will looks like a shell...just use a toothpick to add a little milk to the white. I prefer choc (not a fondant person...GASP!! Oh, the horror! I know...) Just like the taste, and it works on any type of icing. icon_smile.gif Good luck with the cake! Def go for the tiers if you wanna play - take the opportunity even if you need to use a smaller size...10 & 6 would probably work?

BakeLoveMom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #18 of 21

I just made white chocolate shells last night...I have a 6 tiered wedding cake that is supposed to be a sandcastle. The bride opted for the white chocolate shells covered in super pearl luster dust...It is very easy to make them and the bonus is that they taste great...better than any fondant and I am a fondant girl. I encourage you to try it and if you don't like it then try the fondant.

Thanks,

Sarah

JCE62108 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 21

Oh a sandcastle wedding cake! I bet that is going to be so beautiful! How are you going to get the sand effect?

For my sister in laws wedding she had it at the beach and her cupcakes were cream cheese with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top for sand with a little umbrella in each one. Very cute.

I think I need to talk it over with the guy that hired me and see what kind of cake he wants. I think they are going to be at a really nice restaurant, so I was thinking a more formal cake. But maybe something fun? Like, maybe, a little Tiki Hut? I dont know.

I seem to be leaning towards elegant rather than cartoonish just because its a really special occation for them. They are very long time friends of my hubby, actually, he was his 5th grade teacher! So I really just want them to be really impressed. Like, Ooos and Aaaaahh's. Maybe not so much, aw that's cute. lol.

What are some easy to make tropical gumpaste flowers? I made a plumeria once. I tried it 4 more times and for the life of me couldnt get it to work. That was my first gumpaste flower ever. Im not experienced. I saw a tutorial on a hibiscus. Anyone tried that before? Too complicated for a beginner? I have that wilton GP book. You know, that 20 year old one. It shows how to make an orchid but its hard to do without any physical instruction.

Oh and this may be getting off topic, but if anyone has any tips for me on how to ruffle petals and such can you PM me because I just couldnt figure that out from reading a book.

Sorry Im rambling but Im so tired from work and I want to try to think about this so bad, but Im so exhausted I really cant hold a thought right now. Hence the rambling. Ok Im going to bed. LOL

BakeLoveMom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:48am
post #20 of 21

For the sand I am using an combination of of Vanilla Wafers and pecan sandies. icon_smile.gif Good luck.

Sarah

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #21 of 21

An 8" round will serve 20. An 8-6 will serve 30-32, so a tiered might not be an option.

But I've done quite a few beach cakes - take a look in my pix - some are elegant.

I just use the graham cracker crumbs you buy for making cheesecake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%