Need Help W/ A Poker Cake, Anyone Know How To Play?

Decorating By SusanaDalia Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm by SusanaDalia

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 14

I am setting up the cake with edible images of the playing cards, but I don't know how to play poker, so I want it to look realistic. The only person that knows how to play that I know is who the cake is for, so no luck there since it is a surpise for him. I wanted to set up the poker table cake as if 3 people were playing. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

13 replies
SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 14

are you wanting to know what good poker hand would be?? Are you thinking of doing the cards laying face up on the "table" to look as if they have been layed down??

SusanaDalia Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

are you wanting to know what good poker hand would be?? Are you thinking of doing the cards laying face up on the "table" to look as if they have been layed down??

Yes, that is what I mean, if you could help me, please.

SJ169 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 14

hmm okay..oh lol on more question what type of poker are you wanting to create?? i play texas hold'em (i think this type is the most common its what the play in the wolrd series of poker) this is when you have four community cards and you are dealt two cards so your use your two cards and the community cards to make the best hand
what is you did one had with a "full house" ace's full of kinds so yours cards would be two aces and three kings
another hand with quads so four of a kind
and another hand could be a flush or royal flush, so a flush is five cards all of them the same suit, and a royal flush would be (in diamond suite) would bea 10, jack,queen,king and ace all of the same suite

hope that helps, let me know if thats not what you were thinking

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 14

When you play Texas Hold'em, each person is dealt two cards and everyone bets. Then the dealer takes the top card from the stack and discards it (called "burning" it). Then three cards are put down in the middle of the table...those are the flop. Everyone bets again, then the dealer puts down a fourth card, called the turn. Everyone bets again and then the 5th card, the river, is dealt.

Once all 5 cards are dealt, then you use any combination of those 5 cards and the two cards in your hand to make the best 5 card poker hand that you can.

The best hand to get is a royal flush...10, jack, queen, king, ace all of the same suit. The next is a straight flush, which is 5 cards in order, all of the same suit. Next, 4 of a kind, then full house (three of one kind and two of another), then flush (5 cards of the same suit not in order), then straight (5 cards in order, not all of the same suit), then three of a kind, then two pairs, then one pair...if no one has any of that, then the winner is the high card.

There should be a stack of chips by each player and then a stack in the middle which represents the betting going on for that hand.

SusanaDalia Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 14

Ok, thanks so much for the help. Here is what I came up with, let me know if the lay-out would be accurate:

3 players total:

Player 1 wins w/ 10 of hearts, Jack of hearts, Queen of hearts, King of hearts and Ace of hearts.

Player 2 w/ 3 of hearts, King of diamonds, 5 diamonds, Jack of spade, clover

Player 3 w/ Jack of spade, Ace of hearts, 4 of diamonds, 4 of diamonds, and 9 of clover

So, I know people don't reveal the cards necessarily, but for the sake of the cake, all 3 sets of cards will be revealed. Any other suggestions or tips I should know about as far as appearance of the cards and chips go?

SJ169 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 14

you might have already been planning this but make your chips maybe like three differant colors, each chip will represent a differant dollar value

SusanaDalia Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the suggestion. Would there also, be a stack of chips next to the dealer cards?

SJ169 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 14

Ok lol i have attached a kinda of drawing of what i was thinking

I AM HORRIBLE AT DRAWING!!

the dealers usually have a tray of chips in front of them in differant amounts

hope that helps icon_smile.gif
LL

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanaDalia

Ok, thanks so much for the help. Here is what I came up with, let me know if the lay-out would be accurate:

3 players total:

Player 1 wins w/ 10 of hearts, Jack of hearts, Queen of hearts, King of hearts and Ace of hearts.

Player 3 w/ Jack of spade, Ace of hearts, 4 of diamonds, 4 of diamonds, and 9 of clover

You have the 4 of diamonds on there twice... Other than that, sounds good!

Yes, a few different colors of chips would be ideal! The picture idea looks great!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #11 of 14

You should put some chips in the middle of the table for the bet on the current hand...that would be the pot that the winner will get.

SusanaDalia Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

Ok lol i have attached a kinda of drawing of what i was thinking

I AM HORRIBLE AT DRAWING!!

the dealers usually have a tray of chips in front of them in differant amounts

hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the pic, you draw like me! I am still working on the cake, it is for tomorrow. I was thinking of putting out the chips just stacked instead of laid on their side, so I don't have to make a tray, would that still look ok for the dealer chips?

SusanaDalia Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanaDalia

3 players total:

You have the 4 of diamonds on there twice... Other than that, sounds good!

Yes, a few different colors of chips would be ideal! The picture idea looks great!

I didn't even think about the double card, I already made the cards that way, but I guess I can switch out a card with player #2 w/ player #3, and no one will notice probably.

SusanaDalia Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You should put some chips in the middle of the table for the bet on the current hand...that would be the pot that the winner will get.

I didn't think of that either. Thanks a bunch you guys for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%