Anyone Ever Had Any Luck Using The Clay Gun.......

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm by umgrzfn

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 10

to make grass??? The one with all the holes? I've been using my garlic press and it just takes awhile....so I'd like to use the clay gun but how do you do it? If I cut one end.....all the seperate "lines" or whatever stick together just like it does with the garlic press. How do you avoid that? Anyone have any tricks for this?? I don't have any leftover BC, so I have to use fondant.
TFL!!

9 replies
londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 10

When i've made bits of grass the end that is all stuck together I stick on board/cake if that makes sense.
With fondant I add trex to soften first or it doesn't come out easily icon_wink.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 10

Hi, haven't done grass using the claygun. But I use it to create hair for my models. In Lindy Smith's book, she says to knead the paste with shortening and then dip it in warm water and then knead it again. After that the texure should be like chewing gum. I have done it and it makes things lot more easier.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 10

I have never used it for grass. Like Bashini, I use it for the hair. (Speaking of which, thanks for the tip from Lindy Smith. I have never heard that one before). But I think it would work great for the grass.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 10

Dipping in warm water....interesting. Would never have thought to do that.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 10

I have to say, I bought a very cheap one at Michael's craft store. It is called a clay extruder and a few people here have complained about it but I make my fondant soft with a little crisco and it works like a charm. The smaller the hole the harder to push, it kinda hurts your hand but otherwise it really works. I'm very happy with it.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 10

I heat my fondant a bit in the microwave after I knead in the shortening. When its warm it goes through like a dream and comes out with none of those rough edges. I use the cheapy craft store clay gun too.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 10

Ok this is gonna sound a little crazy....BUT I use the play dough toy which I bought at Target. Works great! icon_lol.gif

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 10

I use my garlic press. I've found it's much easier to squeeze.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 10

LOL. GREAT IDEA!!!! Hmmm, garlic press, I will definately have to try that! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%