Fondant And Wire

Decorating By staceycakes7 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm by staceycakes7

staceycakes7 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi I'm trying to creat a number like in this link...I'm trying to figure out the kind of wire to use and the best technique.

Can anyone can help?

5 replies
doreenre Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 6

You don't need a wire to create the numbers. At most, you'd need a toothpick so you could insert them into the cake vertically.

Roll a ball of fondant/gumpaste until it's a long and skinny noodle (or use an extruder, if you have one) and shape into the number, make the ends thinnest so they roll. Then let dry completely before placing on the cake.

Do you follow?

staceycakes7 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

OK , yeah I got you..After I looked at it again I thought I could use gumpaste too and just let it harden...And how would I secure them-(the standing numbers) without making the toothpicks too visible?..For the stars, was that floral wire?

PinkZiab Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 6

You can do them on either thick floral wire or wooden skewers (the type you use for barbecuing and whatnot--these are my preference). Just roll a snake and form the letters however you like, then slide the skewers in while they're still wet and let them dry. I made a bunch of these at PCB and they're really simple.

staceycakes7 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 6

Ok, I'm assuming the skewers don't go all the way through right? because in the case of a number "3" it would go through the open spaces and would be visible

staceycakes7 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, I tried sticking the floral wire at the bottom and it didn't work. I made a number 3 and the whole thing broke when I tried to put it in the cake. I think it needs some sort of internal support. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%