Making Flowers Ahead - Would You??

Decorating By aliciag829 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm by cindy1176

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I am making a cake next month for my parents' 40th (Ruby) anniversary. I am planning on making some red roses out of either fondant or the Wilton bc recipe. I will be short on time close to the actual date, which is in mid-July. I have some spare time now and I am wondering, how far is too far in advance to make these flowers and let them dry out? I was planning on making some and putting them in a plastic storage container. I have never had to make flowers to far in advance before, but it doesn't seem like I have any other options since I will be very busy close to the date. Also, which one do you think would hold up better, the fondant or the bc? I hope the color doesn't fade! If it is bad to make them so far ahead, I will have to wait and make them in a hurry when the time comes. TIA for any advice you can give me on this!

4 replies
sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

I would make them sooner, that is no problem. Many cake shops use bought sugar flowers that would easily be a year old by the time they are made, shipped sea freight, wholesaled, and then sold to the customer.

Just keep them in a clean container.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 5

Fondant will hold up better than BC. It may dry too hard to eat. Also, the red might fade, but the best way around that is to paint the finished flowers with some red gel color thinned with vodka. I already made all of the gumpaste flowers that I'm using for a wedding cake in July...they're sitting on my counter in a big plastic bag.

I think if you made them from BC they could be stored in the freezer.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

I forgot to add, do not keep them in a clear box or bag as it is sunlight that causes fading. We have had many red roses stored for years now that have not faded/

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 5

I personally love to make ahead the royal icing roses. They harden so nicely and then you just place them on your cake straight from the storage box that is kept in a closet away from sunlight. Plus they keep for many weeks, if not months. Just a thought!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%