How Would I Cut These Perfect Rings?

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm by all4cake

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I'm making a cake of Captain America's shield for a groom's cake for tomorrow. It's a fairly simple design. My only question is how would I go about cutting the fondant rings (2 red, 1 white and a blue circle for the center) and lay them to fit perfectly? Is there some sort of ring cutter (if that makes any sense)? What is the best way to approach this? I'll try to attach a pic of the shield. Thanks!!!
ETA: It has a dome-shaped top, so it's not a flat circle, if that makes a difference.

6 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 7

I think your best option would be a set of nesting circle cutters. I remember seeing one in the last couple of days, but I do not remember which site I was on. Another option would be to use a compass to draw the circles, then cut a stencil out of paper or thin cardboard. Lay it on the top if your fondant and cut out the circles.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 7

Use different size glasses

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 7

Is it going to cover the whole top of the cake? I've used my cake pans as templates to cut out the brim of the top hat on one of my cakes and the top of my graduation cake. Maybe try that? HTH.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 7

Well, I would definitely do the cake in red and add the one white ring and the blue center (thinly as possible) on top of that.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 7

I would take the pattern and enlarge/decrease with the copier to the size I needed and cut out my pattern to lay on my fondant to cut out. Use a pizza cutter or exacto knife.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 7

To keep from distorting the rings, I would make one disc out of white then mark off the rings and star. Apply disc to cake surface. Then, carefully paint the appropriate areas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%