Condensed Sweetened Milk

Decorating By Dinny2222 Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm by Rylan

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 7

I have a can of sweetened condensed milk that expires nov. 2009. I opened it in April and used a small amount. Covered the can and put in the fridge. I only need another small amount and was wondering if I can use from this can. Have some filling and need to do today so do I have to run to store or is all well? Thanks so much for looking and I appreciate the expert help

6 replies
Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 7

5 days in frig.... have to throw it out... just thought I would post in case anyone else wanted to know.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 7

Just to let you know there is a recipe for sweetened condensed milk on allrecipes so you can make it yourself in whatever amount you need instead of running to the store...FYI for next time.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 7

Leaving it (or anything for that matter) in the can when refridgerated gives it a metallic taste IMHO. I would think that it would be ok in a sealed container, tho. HTH

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 7

You should never EVER leave opened food in a can for storage (unless it has been designed for this like cocoa)

Cans can contain bacteria and when they are exposed to air the bacteria thrives. The most severe forms of food poisoning come from botulism. It can be life threatening especially for infants who have different digestive tracts to adults.

PLEASE ALWAYS TAKE OUT OF CAN AND PUT INTO CONTAINERS

There is much info on botulism on the internet. It is not a urban legend or wives tale. Please don't take food safety lightly.

This website has some good information.
http://www.foodborneillness.com/botulism_food_poisoning/

While this is a bigger issue with home canning it does occur in the cans you buy from the store.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #6 of 7

Agreed, should not store in can. Taking too much risk.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 7

Me either. I woudn't leave unopened can in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%