Royal Icing/fondant/bc Melting Question

Decorating By Rthrbswmng Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 5:26am by HoodiesGoodies

Rthrbswmng Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 4

I'm still new to decorating and was considering making a cake that had figures (children) swimming in a pool for a pool party. The directions say to make the characters out of royal icing (which I'm failing at getting the heads to stand up) so I thought about trying fondant to make the basic shapes and piping on the swim clothes. So my question is, which will hold up better in warmer temperatures (supposted to be 88 tomorrow) and higher humidity (about 60-70%)? I think the buttercream I'll be making with crisco should hold up in these temps for a few hours, but I don't want the rest to melt on top of it. Thanks so much in advance.

3 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 4

Hmm. What do you mean the heads aren't standing up? I really like using royal icing in hot weather. I know that fondant can droop, but I haven't made figures with it before. Maybe I can help with the royal icing problem if you explain it a bit more?

Rthrbswmng Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, but I think I'm giving up. I just decided to go wtih the figures laying in the rafts instead of sitting up since the heads fell from the up position as they dried. I guess I'll learn for next time and start the figures more than 2 days in advance.

HoodiesGoodies Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 4

Next time you can also try gumpaste. That hardens up well and holds up to temps ounce dry. You acn also use toothpicks in figures to help hold on heads and arms and things if they are big enough. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%