My Carrot Cake Is Green!

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm by mrsw

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 5

Yesterday, I made 2 10" carrot cakes. Same bowl of batter. One came out perfect (tad dark on the bottom). Torted, filled, went onto the second layer. Sliced it open - see green. I look further, and some, but not all, of the carrot strings have turned green. It really looks like zucchini-carrot cake.

How did this happen?

I went to the store to get more carrots, but ended up buying two boxes of regular carrot cake mix, and will just make those instead. These are cakes for a graduation party tomorrow, and I don't want to have them ruin the party.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 5

oh I would love to find that out too. Few weeks ago I made a carrot cake and it had some green specks in it,but I also made zuccini bread that day so I thought I have Zucccini in it.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

I just put the mixes in the oven - read some doctored mixes, and ended up adding (to a double batch) 2 more eggs, 3/4 cup of orange juice, and a dash of nutmeg. What really upsets me is there is no real carrots in the cake - the box says "carrot flavored pieces"

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 5

I have heard of this before! Found this article that might interest you -
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/food-science/food-science-when-good-carrots-turn-green-052210

Seems that maybe not incorprating the baking soda well enough might be the culprit? I think that could even explain why one layer turned out fine - maybe the green layer had a swirl or chunk of baking soda in it that gave it a higher amt of baking soda overall?

I've also heard that walnuts can turn blue due to similar issues. Weird!!

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 5

maggiev777 thanks for the article link - now I won't freak out if my carrots turn green!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%