What Should I Use To Cover Cookies?

Baking By jenniferchristman78 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 1:50am by breyes

jenniferchristman78 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 8

I volunteered to head up making cookies for Father's Day at church this year. I am using the NFSC recipes and will be cutting out ties and circles that will be made into baseballs. I am wondering what should I use to cover the cookies so that I can go back and use royal icing for detail. I saw a recipe for rolled buttercream and was wondering if anyone has used this or if there are any other suggestions. I would like to stay away from just fondant, but figured that if I had to I would use MMF. Any ideas?

7 replies
verono Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 8

I use glace and really thick glace for details... hard on the hand but I prefer the taste of glace, not crunchy.

ddaigle Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 8

Thinned royal to flood (make sure you flavor it) and stiffer royal for detailing.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 8

Along the same lines as jennifer's question, I just did a sea turtle cake and used fondant for the flippers but they were too flimsy so I thought next time I would cover flipper shaped cookies with fondant or rolled buttercream to match the turtle shell. When you talk fondant for cookies, are you using poured or rolled fondant, and if rolled, how do you attach it to the cookie?

jenniferchristman78 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 8

Is there a certain recipe that you use for the royal? How do you flavor it? I usually do cakes so cookies are kind of new for me!

ddaigle Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 8

Royal icing is sooo easy to make and use. Just takes a little practice...and a good blender. Most royal recipes are pretty much the same.....but most don't say to add flavor. Unflavored royal, to me, is soooo yuk! I use either Valencia extract or almond extract will work..1 Tlb. per 1lb. batch. I also use Merenge (sp?) powder and not (real) egg whites. Merenge power is powered egg whites. When you need to flood, add water a tsp. at a time until when you drop some royal on itself in the bowl, when you can count to 10, and that plop dissappears, then it is thin enough to flood. After awhile, you will be able to eyeball the consistancy.

RachieRach Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:03am
post #7 of 8

I use the recipe that is on the Wilton website (or in the canister if you buy wilton meringue powder). First I line the edge and then use a thinner version (just add more water) to flood or fill in the cookie. I use my spatula for the flooding part.
Recipe
3 TBLS meringue powder
1 pound of confectionary sugar
5-6 tbls of water

breyes Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 8

I'm new to decorating cookies and really loved using Toba's glace...the cookies came out beautiful and tasted great! I flavored it with lemon extract and vanilla and it tasted great. I used royal icing to add details...but haven't fully decorated with the RI. I tried a RI recipe from a cookbook that I have and it came out horrible (I don't know what I did wrong...it bubbled and didn't seem to ever completely dry). I haven't tried Antonia's RI, I've only used Toba's and it was fine for details. I have also used fondant to decorate and like using it as well...Wilton brand before I found CC. The wilton tastes horrible and I'm in search of a better tasting fondant. You could do a fondant base with RI details. I just made MMF yesterday..it was a little messy to make and I think I added either too much flavoring or salt....something was off with the flavor. My vote is for glace!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%