Fondant Bow

Decorating By nursetonya28 Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 11:23am by Rylan

nursetonya28 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 4

i need help with making a fondant bow. i am using satin ice and it seems to keep tearing. does it need to be pretty thick? is there a special trick that im not aware of? any help would be great!!! Thanks!!

3 replies
LoriMc Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 4

I used to HATE making bows...but if you get the proper supplies it can be really easy!

Making bows with plain fondant can be a real nightmare. If you are using fondant by itself, you really need to be adding tylose powder so that it will harden faster.

If you have any gumpaste, use that, or mix it with the fondant at least 50/50.

You said your fondant was tearing? Do you mean when you pick it up off the board? You might let it rest for a while...it's possible it got to warm from your hands. What are you coating your board with? Too much shortening can make the fondant too soft. I like to use a tiny bit of cornstarch. You can always wipe it off of the bow loops with a q-tip and alcohol when the bow is dried.

CakeMommy3 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 4

I got a pasta roller machine from the craft store to make the bows. I use a 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix, then put it through the machine at a number 3 or 4, and it comes out really nice and even. Here's a really great tutorial

http://cakecentral.com/article17-How-to-Make-a-Fondant-Loop-Bow.html

HTH

Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:23am
post #4 of 4

A mixture of fondant and gumpaste works best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%