? About Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm by JaimeAnn

sandy1 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 21

I love using MMF to cover my cookies and cupcakes. I was wondering if anyone has tried using MMF to make flowers and figures? Does it stand up as well as fondant and gum paste? Can you add gum paste to it to help it hold it's shape when shaping/molding flowers and figures? I would appreciate any information you can give me.

20 replies
jardot22 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 21

I've used MMF just fine for making figures - it takes about twice as long to dry than it does when gumpaste is added though. For flowers I would recommend using either straight gumpaste of a 50/50 fondant & gumpaste mixture. This will definitley help it hold its shape better and dry faster.

traceyjade Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 21

I also think you can add tylose powder to it.

sandy1 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 21

I know this might be a silly question but when you say 50/50 blend of fondant and gum paste do you mean 50% MMF and 50% GP??

jardot22 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 21

Yep that's exactly what I meant icon_smile.gif

imamommy1205 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 21

I just made these out of only MMF and they are holding up fine. Not completely dry and hard, but I prefer them that way.

sandy1 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 21

Thanks so much!!! I can't wait to make flowers using the MMF/GP blend!

doreenre Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 21

I've used mmf to make figurines and adding tylose powder definitely helps in the drying process.

I've also had great success with 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Dries much faster. To which, you can also add tylose powder, if you're in a pinch.

AverageMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 21

I make a mix of fondant and gumpaste. I find the gumpaste is too dry otherwise, and the fondant is too soft, so together they work great! I've never added tylose powder. Anytime I have leftover fondant I mix a bit of GP in and make flowers for future cakes.
Oh, and I only use Marshmallow fondant!

cutthecake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 21

Those flowers are lovely. Did you make them from flattened circles of MMF?

sandy1 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 21

What is tylose powder and where do you purchase it??

karizkakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 21

Are ya'll using the Wilton brand Gumpaste or a homemade version?
Also, when making the 50/50 mixture, do you add it after the MMF has sat for a while OR right after you get the Sugar worked in good.
AND, (sorry to have so many ??) the only time I used gumpaste (Wilton) it was SUPER hard. Can I just throw that in my KA with the Fondant and use the dough hook OR do I do it by hand?

jardot22 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 21

I always use the Wilton premade gumpaste. If it's hard just knead in some shortening and work it until it softens up again. You don't need to mix it in the KA - I just knead the two together and it's super fast and easy.

jenna15 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 21

imamommy, I too would love to know how you made those flowers......they are beautiful!!! About MMF, I sometimes find it hard to know when to use shortening when mixing in colors or should I be using PS....sometimes it gets dry and cracks and then sometimes it gets too sticky.....any further advice would be great.

karizkakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks jardot22!

So, it doesn't matter when you add the Gumpaste to the MMF. could be right away, could be hours/days later?

jardot22 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #16 of 21

No prob! Yep you can add it whenever. I'll make a batch of fondant and a week later take some of the Wilton stuff and just knead it in with the fondant and it's ready to go for figures and stuff icon_smile.gif

mgwebb68 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 21

jenna15 - I'm just do this for fun and I'm new to most of it. I have tried so many fondant recipes that I don't even want to talk about it. Too stiff, too sticky, to oily, you name it. Last night I tried the one that a friend told me about which is the same one that is posted on here in the articles "How to make and decorate with Marshmallow Fondant". It was the easiest to make, and it turned out SOOOOOOO beautiful. It didn't even stick to me and it rolled out perfectly. It was like grown-up play-doh. I now know why some folks like it so much. Of course with all my failures with it I also know why some folks hate it so much. And the best part was I was able to make my cake and my fondant last night and assemble it, I didn't have to let it sit, other than to cool down.

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #18 of 21

I like to use the Nicholas lodge recipe for gumpaste . but when I need a quick batch I prefer the Wilton Gumpaste mix over the premade wilton gumpaste. It works great all you do is add water and knead. Get it at Michaels with your coupon and it is very inexpensive.

For flowers I use just Gumpaste but for figures I mix 50/50 with MMF.

kandu001 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #19 of 21

I don't like to use MMF to make figures and roses. I actually use Wilton fondant to make them because it dries hard as a rock.

karizkakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #20 of 21

Thanks JamieAnn!! I'm getting some tonight.
Would you all say that its easier to make fondant/gumpaste flowers or buttercream? Just curious.

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #21 of 21
Originally Posted by karizkakes

Thanks JamieAnn!! I'm getting some tonight.
Would you all say that its easier to make fondant/gumpaste flowers or buttercream? Just curious.

I think it is just whatever you are better at... I suck at Buttercream roses (always come out like cabbages) but love to make fondant and gumpaste ones.

But Buttercream flowers usually get eaten and fondant and gumpaste ones don't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%