Can I Mix Regular Cake Mix And Pound Cake Mix?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm by SuzyNoQ

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 7

For my first wedding cake next week, the bride wants a cake that is 'pound cake like'--I think she means just a dense, not airy cake, but I thought I'd make a test one this weekend (I have a large neighborhood party tomorrow, so I can use it!)

My question is, if I want to try to mix a regular boxed cake mix with a pound cake one, how would you do it? Would you do 50:50 or 1:2 (pound cake: regular)? Will they mix?

6 replies
Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 7

One of the top decorators has a recipe where he uses pound cake + yellow cake. He uses the directions on the back of the box but just combines them in to the same bowl and mixes it all together. I haven't tried it myself.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 7

it's a 1:1 ratio, just follow the directon on the box bake at 350, but i would use milk instead of water.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both! I actually mixed before I saw any replies!!! I mixed 2 boxes of regular white cake mix, per their directions. Then, in a separate bowl, I mixed 1 box of pound cake mix, per it's directions.

After both were mixed, then I added them together on law speed (so I wouldn't add too much more air). I actually had enough left over for 2 large cupcakes for me to sample!!!

I will update on how it turns out.

icon_wink.gif

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 7

I do it all the time mix both together and add all ingredients using milk and water, bake at recommended temperature for the longer amount of time or what is recommended for your pan.

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 7

That's 'what' I do for all my cakes. Great taste and a sturdy cake.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 7

My mini small ball cake pan instuctions state "For a firmer textured cake reduce the oil in the mix to only 1 tablespoon" You should be able to do that with any flavor of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%