When Does Eveyone Do There Scroll Work?

Decorating By radtech Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm by Loucinda

radtech Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding coming up at the end of the summer and I am very nervous about the bride wanting scroll work. It is to be a 4 tiered square cake with simple scroll work on the sides. I have to practice because I have not been very good at it. I'm wondering if I am going too slow or do I go a little faster do get a smoother scroll pattern? Someone suggested using Karo syrup or piping gel to help it flow better. My next question is, when do I actualy do the scroll work before or after stacking my tiers?

7 replies
crazycaker Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 8

I sometimes find Royal Icing gets a better flow than butter-cream. But, if you do use butter-cream, a little corn syrup helps with flow.

Wilton makes press-in forms that have scroll shapes, which are helpful for praticing the basic form. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D882-475A-BAC0-5D0833D2D8DFB041&killnav=1

After a little while, however, you'll probably find it easier to do free-hand.

adrigaby Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 8

A good idea is to practice on the sides of the pan

momma28 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 8

I do scrollwork before stacki and then use a cake lifter to gently stack them. Hope this helps. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 8

Scroll work before you stack...after you stack you will have a harder time, as your hands can hit the layer on the bottom and ruin your edges....

sometimes using the press ons that Wilton has is good, if you can follow the print on the cake, if your hand is a bit shakey, like mine...it makes it hard cause then you have the imprint on the cake of the scroll, and your line is not on it. It helps if you it helps if you can tilt the cake alittle bit ...maybe use the tooth pick method and prick the cake with the design?...Be sure your cake has crusted before you do this, this way you can scrape it off with a toothpick if its not right.

good luck

indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 8

The presses are a GREAT tool, if you're not experienced with freehand scrolling.

If you move your hand slowly while doing the scrolls, your hand will shake and the scrolls won't look smooth. THe faster you move, the better they look.

I use my BC for everything. For writing and lace, I thin it a little (!) with some extra milk.

If you plan on transporting the whole cake already stacked, then stack it and then scroll it.

If you plan on assembling the cake at the venue, then scroll it at home/shop and stack it on site. The most you'll have to do at the venue, then, is just add a border which will hide any imperfections caused by Fat Finger Syndrome ( icon_lol.gif ). I use my icing spatula to set the tiers in place and never have any problems.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 8

I usually do the scroll work first, then stack if it's just on the sides. The faster you move (while still maintaining control of course) the smoother your scrolls. If you do use the pattern presses just imprint very, very lightly. The first few times I attempted them I smooshed them into the cake waaaay too hard and it was difficult to hide with the scrolls.

One more tip, if you have little "tails" on the ends of your scrolls just dip your finger lightly in powdered sugar and gently flatten them down before your frosting crusts.

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 8

I just did a scrollwork cakey yesterday - I did the scroll on the cake - delivered and set up - just had to add the 3 top tiers borders at the venue (and the roses) One important thing about the scrollwork is to have the cake at a good level. I have a counter in my kitchen (breakfast bar) that sets considerably higher than the regular counter - I set my turntable on there to do the scrollwork - it works out great.

I have had better luck freehanding it - I can't follow the lines to save my soul.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%