Novice Icing ?

Decorating By ylil Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm by ylil

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:49am
post #1 of 4

I've recently started using a new buttercream recipe and while I really like the flavor, it's coming out a bit gritty. I'm wondering how to remedy that.

It has 1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 cup butter, 2 tsp vanilla, and about 1 # of confectioner's sugar - not sure of exact amount, just enough to have a peak that is in between soft & stiff - you can pipe it and it holds it's shape, but doesn't have a really good crust.

Would a longer mixing time help or adding a liquid? I don't want to make it any sweeter.

Thanks so much!

~Lily

3 replies
miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:56am
post #2 of 4

Adding liquid will change your peak, if you are happy with that don't add liquid. However, you might find that mixing it longer is helpful ( Once all my ps is incorporated, I turn the mixer to medium and walk away. I do a least 5 minutes, sometimes as many as ten.) Other things that you might try are changing your brand of ps, (but always make sure it is marked 10x). For me the biggest difference is that I use hi-ratio shortening. It is not available in the UK, but I like it so much that I mail order it twice a year.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:01am
post #3 of 4

Are you sifting the powdered sugar?

Some members prefer cane to beet sugar, while others feel the type of sugar makes no difference.

Is there no liquid, or corn syrup in your recipe?

Quite a few members like Sugarshack's method of making b/c.... (She uses hot liquid.) Here's the recipe if you'd like to see all the tips:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

Your recipe sounds likes Wilton b/c... Here's the complete recipe with tips:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

HTH

P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylil

you can pipe it and it holds it's shape, but doesn't have a really good crust.

Crusting is caused by evaporation. If you don't have any added liquid in your recipe, you won't have evaporation.... (The 2 tsp. of vanilla isn't sufficient for good crusting.)

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks to you both! I don't want to change the peak, so I'm going to try mixing longer - I think I'm mixing nowhere long enough. If that doesn't work, I'll try the liquid. I didn't realize this was the wilton recipe - I was thinking it was mostly shortening, but it's been a while since I've done this.

Thanks again!
Lily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%