Mmf Going Hard In Fridge

Decorating By sister340 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 8:45am by deelovlie1

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:55am
post #1 of 3

I was so thrilled when I first made and used MMF. I let it rest in the fridge for 1/2 hr or so then practiced and it was great to work with. I had read to put a light coat of shortening on it, double wrap in plastic wrap and put in a baggie to make it ahead and keep a few days. When I was ready to put it on the cakes, I took it out, let it come to room temp and tried to roll it. It was very hard and difficult to roll. I put it in the mircowave for a few seconds at 50% power, no difference, a little more heat,.............

I had to really work to get that fondant usable. Do you have any idea what I did wrong and why the few days in the fridge made such a difference? At this point I've decided I'll make the fondant and get it on the cake the same day.

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:00am
post #2 of 3

I used to keep my MMF in the fridge because the recipe I'd read suggested it. I always had to microwave it to get it to be workable.

Now I leave the MMF on the counter, wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in a ziplock bag. It's fine there for at least a week. I've noticed a slightly vinegar-like smell in MMF that's been on the counter for two weeks, so now I freeze the leftovers and just thaw them on the counter when I need them. It seems to do fine with freezing.

deelovlie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deelovlie1 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:45am
post #3 of 3

icon_confused.gif ok mine is the complete opposite lol.....If I take it out of the fridge it gets too soft???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%