Rice Krispy Objects - Best Way To Cover?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm by cakequeen50

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:52am
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking about doing a golf ball cake (making the golf ball out of rice krispies).
1. What is the best way to cover the ball? Is it supposed to be buttercream crumb layer and then fondant?
2. Or can you do buttercream for the entire thing?
3. Is there any way to cover it in whipped cream? (i.e. buttercream crumb layer and then stabilized whipped cream)

Thanks!

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:07am
post #2 of 6

1. You can use buttercream under the fondant or you can do two layers of fondant to smoothen things out.

2. I'm sure you can do it all in buttercream if done the right way.

3. I personally wouldn't use whipped cream.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! Sorry, one more question...do you crush the rice krispies before adding them to the marshmallows so that they aren't so lumpy?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 6

I didn't have time to make RKTs this week - so I bought a small box of them, you need to pack it down tightly so it doesn't come apart from the weight of the fondant - for example - I used 2 bars for each foot on a baby rump cake. I warned the mom to be not to eat the feet because they were hard enough to break a tooth! I would imagine if you crushed the rice krispies before adding them to the marshmallows it would come out a soggy mess - but I have not tried doing that, maybe someone else has.

FiveRushings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveRushings Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

I don't crush mine. But I do try to get the rice crispies as tight as possible. As you shape, squeeze and mold them, they will compress somewhat. I love using RCT and everyone seems to love the surprise that there is something other than cake. I cover mine with a layer of BC (getting into all the pores) then lay on the fondant.

Good luck!

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

I remember reading where one CC'er put the RKT in the food processor. I haven't tried it, tho.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%