Scratch Bakers-Adjusting A Recipe

Baking By Lenette Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 6:14am by sheena

Lenette Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #1 of 7

I need to make white chocolate cake, again. I have problems and I am an experienced baker. The one in Dede Wilson's book always sinks in the middle. RLB Cake Bible recipe is good but her recipes are so ticky. Last time the darn thing over flowed the pan and then 1 layer fell apart when I unmolded it.

Anywhoo, I would like to adjust my vanilla cake. So I add the melted white chocolate, definitely need to reduce the sugar and I'm thinking the butter too. It calls for 8 oz butter and 2 cups sugar. Any suggestion on a starting point for these alterations?

I am guessing (majorly) on reducing sugar by 1/2 cup but no clue on the butter. I appreciate any suggestions on this or if you have a TNT recipe that's great too!

TIA for any help! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
hollylikescake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #2 of 7

I would love to hear an answer to this question too.

Bunsen Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 7

Adding white chocolate is much harder than dark as it is sooo sweet it really upsets the balance of flavour!

White chocolate is approximately 1/3 cocoa butter and 2/3 sugar so for every 3oz of choc you add remove 1 oz butter and 2 oz sugar. You might find the batter is firmer - add a splash of milk to loosen it up.

I have a great recipe for a scratch white choc mud cake - if you are looking for a firmer cake baked in a deep pan - happy to pass it on , just let me know icon_smile.gif

princesscris Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 7

Hi Lenette

In theory, it can be done, but there are a lot of variables to take into account and you may need to tweak the recipe a bit to get the results you want.

I measure ingredients by weight, not volume (cups etc), so I'd simply reduce the sugar by the weight of sugar in the chocolate and reduce the butter by a bit more than the weight of fat in the chocolate - butter is only 80% fat. You might need to add a bit more liquid as well because the butter that you removed was 20% liquid/water. If the recipe calls for creaming the butter and sugar, make sure you have left enough butter to do this as a first step.

As your recipe is measured by volume, you'll need to do convert the weights to volume - there are conversion tables on the web if you don't have a recipe book with them included.

Good luck!
Cris.

Lenette Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all! It seems a bit more complicated than I thought and definitely more than I do right now. So, I am back to RLB recipe. Hopefully, it will turn out okay.

Thanks again for your replies, I will try to make these adjustments soon!

CakeandDazzle Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:03am
post #6 of 7

i adjust my recipes to make different flavors all the time... i pretty much use the gormet wasc recipes without the box... I take my base recipe (white) and add and subtract till i fogure out what works. I would add a white chocolate pudding mix, reduce the sugar, addd melted wc & sub some milk for a white chocolate creamer... i love to experiment and everyone so far has came out great....

sheena Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:14am
post #7 of 7

I agree with what the others have said...just take a look at how much cocoa butter and sugar content there is in teh chocolate you are using and then, accordingly reduce those amounts of sugar and butter in your recipe..will work out just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%