Help- Why Is My Cake Falling In The Center?

Decorating By sweetsadiecakes Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm by MrsMabe

sweetsadiecakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 11

I know the cake is done, but how should I adjust my temp/bake time so that when it cools the cake wont sink in the center?

10 replies
step0nmi Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 11

if your cake is sinking in the center after you take it out of the oven..it is not done.

1. use a inverted greased and floured flower nail at the bottom of your pan to make sure your cake bakes in the middle

2. larger cakes you can also use those bake even strips from Wilton

also, what kind of cake recipe are you making? you may need to bake longer than you think...especially with my cakes...I fill my pans about 1/2 to 3/4 full and I need to add on like an extra 10-15 mins to finish baking depending on the size. IF you are baking at 350 for a shorter time for a white cake then are definitely baking the outsides more first than the center and you could turn your oven down to 325 and do the baking longer. You should be able to touch the top of your cake that has domed and the cake should spring back after you've slightly touched it.

Good luck with the next ones icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:29am
post #3 of 11

I had this happen with chocolate cakes last week. They fell during baking. I'm fairly sure using DH was the culprit! icon_smile.gif It never happens with BC. I've also been told it could be due to overmixing of batter.

mpetty Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:44am
post #4 of 11

I had the same thing happen this week -- it looked fine until the last 3-4 minutes of baking, then the center fell. I've used DH many times and never had that happen, but this time I was using my new KA and it may be that I did overmix the batter. I love the way the KA handles large batches of frosting, but I'm really hating "finding the zone" for making cakes with it. icon_cry.gif

jardot22 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 11

This only happens to me when I use DH. Opening the oven too frequently can be a culprit too, or testing for doneness too soon.

kamikaze_fish Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:25am
post #6 of 11

I'm too new to this. What is DH, BC, and KA? icon_redface.gif

mpetty Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #7 of 11

DH = Duncan Hines
BC = Buttercream
KA = KitchenAid

Here's a thread that will help.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

icon_smile.gif

kamikaze_fish Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty

DH = Duncan Hines
BC = Buttercream
KA = KitchenAid

icon_smile.gif

Excellent information. Thank you very much!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty

DH = Duncan Hines
BC = Buttercream
KA = KitchenAid

icon_smile.gif

"BC" could also mean Betty Crocker, especially in this case where you're discussing cake mixes, as the poster mentions DH as well.

Angel_Cake Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 11

I use DH all the time in my KA, and I've never had it fall in the middle...

MrsMabe Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 11

I am laughing my butt off right now! I was sure you guys meantime DH as "dear husband". As in, my cakes on flop when my husband helps. I thought you guys were making a funny icon_lol.gif

Anywho, I only have that issue if I overmixed it (air in the batter) or opened the oven too many times during baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%