Silk Or Gp Flowers?

Decorating By miny Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 7:02am by miny

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 13

I'm making my friend's wedding cake in less than 2 weeks and I'm in panic mode.
1.- it's my first wedding cake
2.- I thought it was going to be easy and left it to the last minute
3.-she changed the design from super easy chocolate sea shells to hydrangeas!
Now, I told her to give me $200 for a 3 tier cake so now I have to suck it up! I went to Michael's to buy silk hydrangeas and problem solved, right? Well not, they are expensive and as I told you I'm not getting much money.... So that let me with the extra work of making my own flowers. This is where I need your help, is the extra work worthy (talking money) or I should just go ahead a buy the silk ones? Sorry for the long story but I'm really freaking out!

12 replies
saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 13

First...congrats!
Second....BREATHE!!!
Third....buy the flowers. I think it will take quite a bit of time to make them (unless you already have some hydrangea's hanging around).

I would consider telling her one of two things: 1) You are able to change the design, but could she pick up the silk flowers that she likes and provide them for you (this way she pays AND feels like she is getting to choose her own). 2) With the change in design, it is adding more to the cost of the cake.

OR....just consider it as a gift to her for her wedding if you are invited. Sorry, trying to be of some help for you. But I do think that you can say that the quote you gave her was for a particular design and since she has changed it, then so has the price.

Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 13

What about using some Michaels coupons to get the flowers? I've got a Michaels coupon http://mic.michaels.com/MichaelsWeekly060609US.aspx?id=120&referenceNo=02299856159®_source=WKY06069&cm_ven=mic&cm_cat=wkly&cm_pla=email&cm_ite=wkly060609 Their coupon links only work a certain number of times...print out a few and go to different michaels to use them, or get your friend to go with you and you can each use a coupon at the same time.

It is a lot of work making flowers on wire...personally I enjoy it but it's not always the best thing to do when you're in a hurry. Also, you'll end up having to buy a hydrangea cutter unless you already have one...hydrangea has 4 petals and most of the flower cutters that are easy to find have 5 petals.

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #4 of 13

Yeah, you are right. I don't have the cutter, the time or the patience to do them now and I do not want to get in a war with her for the price, after all, it's my fault (trying to be nice with my friend I under price it! I guess it'll be part of her present as you said. But I really, really want to give flowers a try (sometime in the future of course).
Thank you for the coupon tip, I'll get them right now, in my desperation I didn't think about it! For future reference, do you use a special kind of wire to do your flowers? I've only made hybiscus for my Hawaiian cake and did not use wire. Thank you for all your help!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 13

I just use floral wire, either painted or unpainted. I use 26 gauge for leaves, 18 gauge for roses and big flowers, and then something in between for smaller flowers. The 18 gauge is hard to bend without needlenose pliers and it's usually sold in long lengths, and the thinner gauges are sold wrapped around a plastic card. It's not expensive at all icon_biggrin.gif and you can get it at Walmart or at the craft store.

The tricky part is trying to tape together a bunch of finished flowers. I've been working on that part but so far it seems to involve lots of broken flowers and curses.

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 13

I looked in the floral department in case I needed it and I saw the one wrapped around in plastic but my question is because I've read that not everyone gets wire on their cakes and wanted to make sure it is ok or if you have to wrap it with something like florist tape, do you do this? Sorry for so many questions but I'm confused. icon_redface.gif

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 13

By the way, your cookie bouquet is beautiful!

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:03am
post #8 of 13

Thanks!

You can't put wires directly into the cake. I'm not sure about doing it when they're wrapped in floral tape either, I've heard that was safe but I use straws or those flower holders that Wilton makes. They make fresh or fake flower holders, and the ones for fake flowers are really cheap...the last package I bought was $2.48 for 12 holders.

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:19am
post #9 of 13

Oooooh! ok, see? I told you I'm a flower dummy, icon_redface.gif well not any more thanks to you! I think I know which flower holders you are talking about, are they those little clear plastic capsules with white lids with a hole on it? Do you know if I can get them at Michael's?

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:33am
post #10 of 13

The ones with the lids cost more...these are the ones I got http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00086IC8S/?tag=cakecentral-20 I bought them at Hobby Lobby but I'm sure Michaels has them too. I think you only need the lid kind if you're using fresh flowers.

You could probably use straws instead if you're planning to put the stems of the silk hydrangeas into the cake. The Wilton holders leave a big hole in the cake when they come out. I used them because I was putting a bunch of stems taped together into it and a straw would have been too narrow (besides the kids used up all the straws icon_biggrin.gif )

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:08am
post #11 of 13

Thank you so much, as soon as I have the pic I'll post it, I'm so exited, thumbs_up.gif I wish everything goes well and hoping it's the first of many wedding cakes for me! icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:53am
post #12 of 13

I bet it will go great!!!

I'm making my first wedding cake July 4th so wish me luck too!!! I've done other big cakes but not an actual wedding cake.

miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:02am
post #13 of 13

OMG, thank you for answering all my questions even when you are stressed out too! I wish you the best and can wait to see how both cakes come out. Good luck my new friend!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%