Impression Mats

Decorating By cc57 Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm by rosamatsas

cc57 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 19

Has anyone used an impression mats? I have bought a Wilton one today and plan to use it next week on fondant for a wedding cake. Does anyone have any tips.

Thanks

Chris

18 replies
chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 19

I got one from country kitchen sweetart locally through a re-seller & I love it! I used it for fondant for cookies! And it was wonderful!!!

cc57 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 19

Thanks Chass, for the quick reply, I can t wait to try it.

Chris

chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 19

no problem! I'm getting their onesie cookie cutter with 3 impression mats for it this weekend! I'm in love with them now!

jammjenks Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 19

I have a couple of them and love them. I didn't realize Wilton made them though. Mine were from somewhere online.

chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 19

wilton brought out 2 that I know not that long ago, one is a happy birthday one, and one is a vine one, at least those are the only 2 I have seen at wal-mart and michaels.

cheatize Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 19

I have 2 Wilton mats. They are very easy to use. I rolled out my fondant, put the mat on the fondant, then rolled a rolling pin over the mat. My only advice is to not impress the mat too hard or the fondant will get too thin in places and tear.

ladybug76 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 19

I agree with cheatize.... be careful not to press down too hard or you will press the impression all the way through your fondant - not fun when you have to re-roll all over again!! Also, I try to apply medium pressure evenly over entire surface in one direction once.... not rolling back and forth or you may shift the design. Have fun!! I love my mats to add flair to my covered cake boards!!!
~ Jaime

JGMB Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 19

I see that everyone responded with how to use it with fondant. In case you do buttercream, just make sure that you smooth your frosting very well then refrigerate the cake. When it's nice and set, push the impression mat in gently but firmly. I've only used mine twice so far -- last night, actually on the trellis cake in my photos and also the square blue trompe l'oeil cake. I was pleased with it both times.

JGMB Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 19

Oh, I just realized that the OP did say she planned on using it with fondant. Just a question -- why does it come out in huge blue letters when you write the phrase "impression mat?" icon_confused.gif

grama_j Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 19

I use mine with butter cream, and just LOVE IT!

crazyteach Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 19

if you click on the blue text-- it takes you to a link related to that topic.

Kimmers971 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 19

One other thing to watch out for, when rolling on top of the mat try not to push/roll too hard - it actually stretches the design out and it gets distorted.

tallgood Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 19

I bought three mats on ebay and they are on their way now. These will be my first try. I gather you dust the mat with powdered sugar before laying on fondant, or imprinting against the buttercream?

One question...how do you know you are giving enough pressure when pressing into vertical side of a cake? And if it goes bad, how do you make corrections on cake side...basketweave to cover up???

Any help will be greatly appreciated by this caker!

cc57 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for all the gret advice from you all. Will be spending the next few days making roses for the cake that is needed by Wednesday. Will post pics if I can work out how to do it on here, Im pretty new to this site.

I think the blue lettering is a link to another site.

Chris.

chassidyg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgood

. I gather you dust the mat with powdered sugar before laying on fondant, or imprinting against the buttercream?

I did not dust mine with anything before I used them, I have a small wilton wood roller I put the mat on the fondant & used that to roll over the mat lightly.

JGMB Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgood

I gather you dust the mat with powdered sugar before laying on fondant, or imprinting against the buttercream?

One question...how do you know you are giving enough pressure when pressing into vertical side of a cake? And if it goes bad, how do you make corrections on cake side...basketweave to cover up???

I didn't dust mine with PS before putting it against the buttercream, I just made sure that the cake was nice and chilled so that the frosting was crusted over.

As far as the pressure, it's probably just trial and error until you get the feel of it. You want to press hard enough for it to make an indentation, but not hard enough that you push your cake off of the plate -- somewhere in between icon_wink.gif I think if it "goes bad" you can just re-smooth your buttercream, re-chill and try again. HTH.

cc57 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 19

I was going to use some pearl lustre dust on this cake, would you just dry brush it on after its on the cake or before you use the roller. I know its a daft question but I have never used it before.

rosamatsas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 19

I just purchased a crocodile texture mat from petal craft. I think it is a bit different than other impression mats b/c it does not have a repeat factor. Does anyone have advice for is use. How can i keep the deign going if it stopped abruptly?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%