I Need Some Dummy Pricing Help

Decorating By kayla1505 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:57am by kayla1505

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 12

A local bakery owener asked me to make her some display cakes.

She gonna provide the dummies and the fondant and wants to pay me $60 for each display.

Do you guys think thats a reasonable price??

11 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 12

Hi Kayla...I'm sorry this has nothing to do with your question but it will at least bump you a bit.

I saw your line about belly dancing...I took some BD classes and loved them! At the first class, while we were stretching, the instructor told us about the benefits and such and said that she danced all through her pregnancies. I spoke up and said, "That's called big belly dancing!" I thought it was a hoot!...I was the only one... icon_rolleyes.gif just thought I would share. There aren't enough of us belly dancers in the world thumbs_up.gif

Anyways, $60 may be ok depending on design. I would imagine that you will want them to be fantastic so they will end up being very time consuming.... and in the end, $60 will likely feel like too little.

kayla1505 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 12

Its funny that you bring that up. Ive been dancing for more than 5 years and this week I've started selling all of my stuff. i have like 2 boxes of costumes. it breaks my heart to sell them but times are hard and i havent danced in like a year since my dad passed away.

Its addicting icon_smile.gif i hope you enjoy your classes.

on another note. i had originally told her $150 and i was gonna buy the supplies. I was gonna make something really nice and really take my time on them.

Since she said $60 guess I could still do the dummys but I'm gonna make them less complicated.

what do you think?

I'm kinda hesitant to get involed with her because she doesnt know how to use fondant so she doesnt know how time consuming it can be .

Minstrelmiss Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #4 of 12

OH!! I thought that they would be representing your work, not hers! Yikes, I don't know that I would allow someone to claim my work as their own icon_eek.gif

I'm sorry that you aren't dancing. icon_sad.gif I wish you the very best though. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 12

My approach to this scenario would be an hourly wage plus the cost of any additional supplies that I provide--royal icing, stamens, gum glue, tylose, etc.

If you can do the designs she wants in an amount of time that will provide you with an hourly wage that you can accept, then go for it. If you want/need more control, tell her they'll be priced individually based on the time that each will take you to complete and that your hourly wage will be $xx.00.

I'll be honest, but when you consider all that goes into decorating anything--prepping & coloring fondant, royal, gum paste, glue, rolling out fondant, clean-up, etc.--I don't get a whole lot done in a short time, so the longer it takes, the less I make.

HTH
Rae

Minstrelmiss Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 12

I just reread your response and was thinking, that if she don't handle fondant well, she shouldn't have your beautiful dummies. I would be a mifted as a bride if I asked for display #1 and received something of a lesser perfection. Maybe you could suggest that she makes her own dummies with buttercream instead so that they reflect her talents.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 12

Unless, of course, she is going to hire you to do all of the fondant cake orders that she gets, I would not do it. Respectfully. But like Rae said, the work does not reflect HER work, but YOUR work, and you should not let someone else claim that your work is theirs, and then make an abomination of it when the time comes, incase it comes back on you! quality and integrity and all that, you know?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:23am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

I just reread your response and was thinking, that if she don't handle fondant well, she shouldn't have your beautiful dummies. I would be a mifted as a bride if I asked for display #1 and received something of a lesser perfection. Maybe you could suggest that she makes her own dummies with buttercream instead so that they reflect her talents.

Boy, I couldn't agree more! No one should ever use your work to represent their own! It can only lead to trouble down the road.

She can use decorator's buttercream or Perma-Ice to do her own dummies in her own style. If she's uncomfortable with that, then she can have blown up photos made & framed and put those in the window.

Rae

kayla1505 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #9 of 12

the thing is that she almost know nothing about cake. she bought the bakery as an investment, and shes kinda learning at she goes along.

She had said that if someone orders a fondant cake she would call me.

My worry is that she in the low range. she charges $1 a serving so i dont think that if she ever got a fondant order she would really call me to come and make it

she told me the max she has charged for a wedding cake was $150

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

oh, hell, just give her a few months and when she goes out of business, YOU can buy the shop and have ALL of the business! icon_lol.gif

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #11 of 12

I say go with your gut feelings, If you think she is selling too low (which she is) then I would not get involved. She is undercutting everyone else price wise. If she did call you to do a cake and she doesn't price it high enough you will lose out on a profit and may not even break even. I'd think it over real good before giving her an answer.

kayla1505 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

oh, hell, just give her a few months and when she goes out of business, YOU can buy the shop and have ALL of the business! icon_lol.gif

lol your so funny. I serioulsy don't know how she breaking even every month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%