Add Peanut Butter To Smbc?

Baking By sweetiesbykim Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm by sweetiesbykim

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 12

I have an order for chocolate cupcakes this weekend -1/2 with vanilla frosting, 1/2 with peanut butter frosting. I use SMBC, and thought I would pipe the vanilla first, then add peanut butter to the SMBC. Will this make it too soft from all the oils in PB? It's for an outdoor picnic/reunion, so I'm concerned about a runny texture, but hate the grittiness of 10X. Has anyone tried this? I often refer the the Cake Bible, but no PB to be found! HELP!!

11 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 12

i'd like to know too!

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 12

well, I have added a lot of things to smbc, but mainly for fillings so I don't really know if it will hold... Sorry
I guess you could add a little at a time and see if it works. icon_redface.gif

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 12

I would think that you could add a peanut butter extract or syrup. I know that I have seen a pb ice cream topping at WalMart (don't ask what brand tho, it's been a long day icon_biggrin.gif ). I am not sure what kind of consistency you would end up with with the syrup tho. HTH.

Good luck!

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #5 of 12

I guess I just want to see how much SMBC to make tonight -2X the amount or 1X for just the vanilla. I found on google a SMBC that has variations at the bottom including the peanut butter, but it's got 2X the amount of butter as mine for the same amount of sugar and egg whites icon_confused.gif It says to add the pb at the end with the vanilla. Here's the recipe:

4 egg whites
1 cup sugar (brown sugar for the pb version)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cr of tartar
1 lb butter!!
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup pb

What do you guys think? Do you use this much butter? 1/4 cup pb doesn't sound like that much for good pb flavor, does it?

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelaney81

I would think that you could add a peanut butter extract or syrup. I know that I have seen a pb ice cream topping at WalMart (don't ask what brand tho, it's been a long day icon_biggrin.gif ). I am not sure what kind of consistency you would end up with with the syrup tho. HTH.

Good luck!

It's rainy, gloomy, and getting dark, so not real excited to do another errandicon_sad.gif I also bought a Sam's club size pb for this, so I'd like to be able to use it. I might try it, otherwiseicon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #7 of 12

my basic recipe is:

5 eggs
1 1/4 c. sugar (alway 1/4 cup sugar per egg)
1lb unsalted butter
pinch of salt
3 tbs vanilla

so i have no problems with that amount of butter icon_smile.gif

my all-time favorite smbc variation is with brown sugar and i think that would be fabulous with peanut butter.

1/4 cup plus 2tbs flavoring is the maximum amount of flavoring this recipe can absorb...but i am not sure if peanut butter would have to stay to this limit since it is not very liquid.

diane

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #8 of 12

I use:

8 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 lb butter
vanilla to taste (I don't add artificial flavorings/extracts for other flavors)
and/or whatever other additions (fruit purees, chocolate, citrus curd, etc.)

I upped my sugar several months ago from 1 1/2cups. SMBC is new to my area, so a sweeter frosting appeals more, and I think cuts down on the "tastes like straight butter" flavor opinion of some.

I like the idea of subbing the brown sugar for the white. I'll try that and just add some pb bit by bit after 1/4 cup. It's such a popular flavor, at least in my area. I'm surprised I can't find much info on making it icon_smile.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #9 of 12

I've used PB before.. I usually gently warm it so that it's thinner and mixes more easily into the S/IMBC.

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

I've used PB before.. I usually gently warm it so that it's thinner and mixes more easily into the S/IMBC.

Do you remember how much you used? ...to 8 egg whites and 1 lb of butter?

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #11 of 12

No, I don't.. I just flavor it to taste... I'd scoop the pb into a microwaveable bowl- microwave until slightly warm/more fluid and then mix in to taste. I remember using whole jars of peanut butter, but I was making it using 25 pounds of butter at a time!

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 12

WHOA! My little 5qt is jealous! I definitely have enough pb then, since I bought the Sam's club size of Jificon_smile.gif I'll try it bit by bit. So it doesn't get too soft to pipe, from all the oil in the PB?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%