So Excited... Found Bettercream

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm by wcarrick

mindy1204 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 7

I found the much talked about Richs buttercream. I do have a few questions, I would love to use it for my sons cake this weekend. Can I color this? I saw a post that says to add pudding so I will probably do that but I need the icing to be colored. Also, in that post it says not recommended for fondant. I have some fondant tiles to put around the pool, do you think this will be ok. Also can I make it tonight and put it in the fridge for Sat. I would not color it until Saturday.

I am so excited to try this.

6 replies
2txmedics Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 7

Ive read and read and have seen this, but lost as to what it is and why its so much better? Can someone tell me? and is the taste very sweet, if so can you bring it down?

thanks all

wcarrick Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 7

I use it all the time and its super easy to work with. Yes you can mix it ahead of time if you want but really dont need to. It only takes ten minutes to whip it in my KA. I start that first then get everything else ready while its whipping. you can certinly add fondant accents to it. It just would not hold fondant, it would slip.. Yes you can color it just like you would buttercream. I think it is easier to work with for the most part. It is not sweet at all I compare it to a creamier cool whip taste. Alot of my customers prefer it.

mixinvixen Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 7

i LOVE this stuff...lovelovelove, as in so much love i'd sleep with the darn thing if it wasn't so cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's not all that sweet really..imagine the texture and taste of cool whip, but it's stable and non dairy. it's really silky in your mouth, and very light, so you don't feel like you've just eaten 5 cupcakes..i mean...ummmmm....totally just throwing a number out there! icon_redface.gif

i don't use it under fondant, which is the majority of what i do, so i choose to use it alot as a filling, and it gets rave reviews. i hear alot of people comparing the flavor to the filling inside snack cakes like ho ho's or ding dongs, twinkies, etc. i would agree.

if whipped up by itself, you can taste a chemical aftertaste, but if whipped with some of the variations listed here on cc, it's out of this world. 2 minutes after starting the process, you have a bowl of fluffy filling, ready to go..SO EASY!!! i personally use the pudding/milk/coffee creamer flavorings.

my most elaborate cake to date is the 40th birthday cake i did for a friend with the shoe box, hat box, etc in my photos. i had ALOT of money invested in those dummies and cake, and i still chose to put bettercreme as the filling..i wouldn't have risked that if i didn't believe in it. you can also get an example of what you can do with it by taking a look at the brown treasure chest with the fish jumping that i did for my daughters 5th birthday. it's completely iced in bettercreme (chocolate, with extra color and chocolate added in to make darker)

the only drawback to bettercreme is that if coloring, you'll typically only get a pastel shade...not bright primary colors.

juleeab Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 7

Here is the forum topic about BetterCream.

From the CakeCentral thread Bettercreme Fun! by Melvira

Here is the link to the document with how to use BetterCream.

juleeab Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by juleeab

Here is the forum topic about BetterCream.

From the CakeCentral thread Bettercreme Fun! by Melvira

Here is the link to the document with how to use BetterCream.

P.S. Bookmark or add to favorites list so you can refer to it!

wcarrick Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

You can get bright colors. I even do neon colors it works fine for this. some colors like black and red you might need to add more dye but not that much more. Don't forget it gets darker as it sits to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%