How To Attach Ribbon On Cake At Different Angles?

Decorating By mama07 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 11:45am by karateka

mama07 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 2

I have been asked to do a wedding cake and the bride emailed me this photo (address is below) as an example of what she would like. Does anyone have any ideas as how the brown ribbon is attached and if it is actually ribbon or something else????
http://dlsweddingplanner.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/aquabrownorangecake.jpg

Thank you so much! This will be my first wedding cake so I'm a bit nervous but believe I can pull it off, even if I have to attach the ribbon at the bottom of each layer as usually seen.

1 reply
karateka Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:45am
post #2 of 2

I'm no expert, but it looks as though it could be fondant ribbon to me. I say that because of the way certain spots really cling to the cake, when it seems they should gap a little.

Of course I could be wrong. I think you just stick your ribbon to the cake with some frosting, wind it around however you need it, smoothing against the surface as you go, then attatch the end. I myself would be tempted to use a pin if it's real ribbon. I've tried attatching real ribbon with RI and it didn't really stick all that well. If it's fondant, just slightly wet the bottom of the ribbon as you unroll it, and it should stick fine.

Good luck...it's a beautiful cake, I can't wait to see your picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%