Half Vanilla/ Half Choc Sheet Cake?

Decorating By FairyPoppins Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:55am by FairyPoppins

FairyPoppins Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 6

One of my husband's co workers emailed me today for a baby shower cake for 40 people next week. She's hasn't chosen a final design yet but she's asked for half vanilla and half chocolate.

If she decides on a tiered cake it won't be a problem but if she chooses a sheet cake I'm not sure how to do it. It will be a 2 layer cake so should I fill up one half of the pan with vanilla batter and the other half with chocolate and the middle where the batters meet will be marble?

I've never done this before so I'm not sure whether to tell her she can only have 2 flavors on tiered cakes but sheet cakes can be either choc cake with vanilla BC or vanilla cake with choc BC.

Any advice? Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

If she decides on a tiered cake it won't be a problem but if she chooses a sheet cake I'm not sure how to do it. It will be a 2 layer cake so should I fill up one half of the pan with vanilla batter and the other half with chocolate and the middle where the batters meet will be marble?

Yes. When you pour in the first batter, just elevate one end of the pan (use an upside down saucer, a rolled up towel, a big spoon handle, etc). When you pour in the 2nd batter, lower the pan and pour. When the batters meet in the middle, they will stop each other (like lava. It's not Kool-Aid, it won't blend). Don't worry if it's not exactly half-n-half. no one notices and no one cares. they fight over the middle.

An 11x15 will serve 35. A 12x18 will serve 54. If you use a 12x18, I always use 2 white and 1 choc mix. Choc rises higher and spreads further, so by the time it's all baked, it's about 1/2-n-1/2.

If you're going to do a 2-layer sheet, you'd only need to do a 9x13. 2 layers of this size cake will serve 48 (cut in 1x2x4).

If you're doing 2 layers, ask if she wants one layer vanilla and one layer chocolate. It's a different look and each guest would get a little of each. See this pic: http:[email protected]/3091248085/ . This pic shows the cut pieces: http:[email protected]/3092088610/in/photostream/

poohsmomma Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 6

I've made two layer 1/4 sheet cakes with both flavors. I bake one 9 x 13 vanilla (actually WASC) and one chocolate. Then I cut them in half and stack them side by side to make one two-layer cake....does t hat make sense??? Much easier than trying to mix to mixes in one pan, I would think,, but then I haven't tried mixing them.

pattycakesnj Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 6

I do it the same as Indydebi, it is easy to do both flavors in one pan but use bake even strips around outside or one side may rise more than the other

CookieD-oh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I do it the same as Indydebi, it is easy to do both flavors in one pan but use bake even strips around outside or one side may rise more than the other

Ditto

FairyPoppins Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #6 of 6

Thanks ladies! You rock thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%