I Think I Goofed!?! Help...

Decorating By CakeVision Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 1:48am by rharris524

CakeVision Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 6

OK, so I made this increadible Choc Sour Cream Pound Cake with Choc Mocha Icing (buttercream)...so far so good...BUT then, I crumb coated and put in fridge (DON'T KNOW WHY)... I took the cake out of the fridge and put final icing coat on and now it isn't crusting....been about 1.5 hours since last icing went on...HELP!

Cake is for a family friend for birthday tomorrow, and I still have to decorate, but really need crust for design...I'm thinking that the temp difference between refridge and room is causing the problem. Will this icing crust tonight or do I need to redo?

5 replies
jammjenks Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't think the temp difference would make it not crust. I don't really know though. Have you used this icing recipe before? If not, could you post the recipe and maybe someone could tell you if it is crusting or not.

CakeVision Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 6

I have used this recipe before and crusted just fine...also the crumb coat crusted without a problem....I just don't know...

Just in case here's the recipe...

1 stick butter
1 cup crisco
1 tsp vanilla ext
8+ cups sugar ( I lose track, add until it's consistency I want)
3 tbs instant coffee ( disolved in hot water )

Thanks for the reply...

Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 6

That recipe should crust fine.

Is it very hot/humid where you are in SC? If so that could effect the "crusting" factor. You probably need to get that cake into a "cool" "dry" environment, like an air conditioned room .

Leave it out...uncovered if you haven't already done that and see if that helps.

CakeVision Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the help...finally finished the cake last night about 11:30 after stripping off the icing and re-icing for the fourth (yep, 4th) time...this was the worst cake experience I have had!! Just glad this one's done, delivered, eaten, and enjoyed!

Thanks again...the final solution was to strip the cake, add more sugar and a little meringe powder...finally crusted like should have from the begining.

rharris524 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 6

I've had that issue with refrigerated cakes, too...then again, it is really, really humid here so maybe that is more the problem than the refrigeration. Anyhow, I'm glad that it worked out in the end

Quote by @%username% on %date%