First Disgruntled Client....any Advice???

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm by cakedesigner59

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #31 of 37

My price was a little higher because I used party size, rather than wedding cake size, cuz I was thinking Birthday cake. 8 and 6 inch party size adds up to only 21 servings. That is how I did the math. I think that it is really funny that we even have those 2 choices!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARAJEAN

My price was a little higher because I used party size, rather than wedding cake size, cuz I was thinking Birthday cake. 8 and 6 inch party size adds up to only 21 servings. That is how I did the math. I think that it is really funny that we even have those 2 choices!

I only use the wedding charts ... and use the same pricing for wedding or birthday cakes. If they want party size pieces, I suggest, they order more cake, but all pricing is based on wedding sizes. I'm not going to complicate my price schedule.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #33 of 37

My word, only 21 servings for a 6" and 8" cake? Those are gargantuan pieces of cake. I used to think I needed to do that, but when I took cakes to work I realized that most people actually want just about the wedding size serving. The few people who wanted more came back for a second serving. Even for a party, just because some people want a glutonously enormous piece of cake doesn't mean the hostess is willing to pay for it.

If you assume 10 pieces for your 6" cake, I recommend you cut an 8" cake into 11 pieces and see just how big those are. I think you're cheating yourself on pricing. I agree with the PP that if the customer thinks people will want more she should order some extra servings.

The Wilton wedding size is 1 x 2 x 4; the party size is only slightly bigger at 1 1/2 x 2 x 4.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_ash

...I dunno maybe I`m in way over my head here...and need to rethink this. I`m not trying to be overpriced and break clients banks because I ahve a tight bank myself and know what its like. At the same time though I want it to be worth my while, I mean I have 3 children feed and clothe too

This is what you DON'T want to be thinking when people try to haggle with you! People might have a tight budget, but that doesn't mean that other people have to lower their proices to accomodate their demands for more details adn specialty work. It SHOULD mean that they should base their buying decisions on what they can afford, not on what they want after watching "My Super Sweet 16"

If they can't afford it, they can't afford it. Someone else will be able to, and that's your customer. Unless you want to have this wench tell all of her friends that you can be talked down if they badger you enough.

I see where the increase from the first price quoted might have thrown her, but if you keep adding upgrades, you need to expect to pay for them, too.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #35 of 37

If a customer hungs up and never calls back, forget about it.

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #36 of 37

If you order a base car at $20,000 but want to add all of the custom stuff ie. leather interior, chrome wheels, entertainment system, alarm system, electric door locks, etc.. you shouldn't be surprised when your sticker price goes to $35,000. Same with cakes, when you quote $96 for a BASE cake, but want to add "bells and whistles" you should NOT be surprised or shocked that the price rises by 50% or more. MTC

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #37 of 37

I have upset two potential customers just this last week. After giving them a price of $40 for a 10x15x3, the say"...um...I'll have to think about it" and never call back. I live in an area with tons of retirees on fixed budgets and I can't really make a profit. I'm practically just making cakes for fun, and breaking even.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%