Transporting Long Distance Questions (Sorry-Long!)

Decorating By cinjam Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:57am by leah_s

cinjam Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 4

OK - big weekend coming up for me. I am doing a three tier - 16, 12, 8 - wedding cake this weekend (Sunday); biggest I've ever done. BC only, no fondant. I need to transport it & it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

I am looking for any advice/support/encouragement/comments you have to offer.

Here are some details along with my concerns:

* I am assembling before delivery (with the exception of the GP grape accent pieces; wedding is at a vineyard). I am not comfortable assembling on site.

* I've made tons of 2-tier cakes, but only one other 3-tier (and that was for my sister). I am doweling with the white plastic dowels Wilton has. I will have double cardboard rounds under the 12" & 8". I know many here love SPS and I've read Leahs many posts about how the cake isn't going anywhere with SPS. But there are 2 reasons I've opted not to go with SPS: 1) I've only tried SPS once, and I would much rather have more experience with it before I use it on this cake. And 2) I really love the dowel that goes through all 3 tiers. It give me a sense of security (false maybe?)

* I am slightly worried about the icing. I use a Crisco/butter icing (crusting). About 1/4 of which is butter & the other 3/4 is crisco. A/C will be on full blast in car. Cake will be moved outside after dinner is served. The venue, which is in the Hamptons in NY, told bride cake can be refrigerated up until that time or left inside in a cool room choice is mine. I think I am OK with cool room (I really do not want GP grapes in frig and then pulled condensation issues). I am considering using a non-butter icing. Ive tried sugarshaks & indydebs icings a few times, liked them both, and have no problem making/using them for this cake. I am obsessing about the heat once it goes outside. I know indydebs recipe says passed the sat outdoors in 90 degrees in August humidity in Indiana for over 5 hours (I love that!!!). Thoughts??

* My cakes are all baked & in the freezer. They will come out tonight. Filling and crumb coat tomorrow. Final coat on Saturday. Brides asked for a simple scroll pattern on the side with a ribbon as border & gum paste grapes. Grapes are done. Cake drum is covered. Ribbon (as well as back up ribbon) is cut and backed with contact paper. I have my transport box ready to go. I am preparing a disaster kit tonight. I have my directions ready to go and I am allowing myself 4 hours of travel time.

Am I forgetting anything?? Any pearls of wisdom?? Pixie dust?? I am nervous

3 replies
cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 4

I have never had anything happen with the dowel going through the center of the layered cake, but I know others on here have said that it is just a false sense of security.

Make sure you put the cake on a non-slip mat. Drive carefully!

cinjam Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I had a feeling it might be giving me a false sense of security. Yes, I have the mat in the back of my suv - and DH is driving LOL!

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 4

Yeah, you already know what I'm gonna say.

Quote by @%username% on %date%