Any Central New Yorkers Out There?

Decorating By Minstrelmiss Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 10:52am by Minstrelmiss

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 13

Anyone from CNY? I need a cake shop bad and haven't found anything yet. I'm bored with Michaels, ACMoore, and Hobby Lobby but and tired of crazy shipping charges. Any ideas from other locals?

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif THANKS!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
Uniqueask Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 13

I have the same problem, Where in CNY? do you live if you don"t mind me asking

chanielisalevy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 13

Give us more to go on...what do you consider central New York and then we can lead you to the right place!

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 13

hehehe....I'm right outside of Syracuse...
the real central NY, not Albany icon_wink.gif

I am planning a trip up to Global Sugar Art when hubby and I go camping next month...(me to hubby: "No, I had no idea the campsite I booked was so close to Plattsbugh icon_biggrin.gif I guess we'll have to take a trip to Global Sugar Art")

There is a place called Capaco/Top of the Cake in East Syracuse but there are no prices on ANYTHING! and the take about 2-5 minutes per item to look them up! Nice people but man, sometimes I just need a quote.

I am from lower upstate and visit family frequently so anything near the Watertown area would be helpful too. Thanks so much!

Uniqueask Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 13

I live in Oneonta

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 13

double post.... icon_redface.gif

Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 13

Hello icon_smile.gif I'm in the Utica Rome area... have you tried Top of the Cake / Capaco in Syracuse? They don't have a lot of specialized items like GSA would, but if you're looking for basic supplies/ingredients/fondant it's a nice place! They're on New Court Ave in Syracuse, not far from the Pfaltzgraff outlet.

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 13

icon_cry.gif Pfaltzgraff outlet is now closed icon_cry.gif

such a bummer icon_sad.gif

I am familiar with Capaco as I mentioned but they drive me crazy with no prices! I get some items form them like packaging and such....I think I just have a dream store in my dreaming of a perfect cake world icon_rolleyes.gif

peg818 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #9 of 13

frankly if you are planning a trip to plattsburgh, take a list with you, cause otherwise you will spend a fortune.

Global is the best cake shop i've ever had the pleasure of being in.

BTW: i'm over by albany.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 13

I had no idea the outlet closed! I used to love stopping in there! I didn't read the whole thread earlier and missed that you had been there. (Sorry- suffering brain burnout at the end of the school year- 1 1/2 days more with the kids!!!) I don't know of any other stores other than the one... There is Smith Restaurant supply in Syracuse on Erie Blvd- they might be able to order for you if you have a list of things you needed...

KristieLee Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #11 of 13

I was going to say Smith Restaurant Supply as well. I grew up in CNY (Liverpool), but now live in CFL... a lot of my family is still up there, so I'll ask my Grandma (fellow baker) if she knows of any place.

lasidus1 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #12 of 13

I like Capaco, I'm in Syracuse. The no price thing does drive me a little nuts, but eh, I just bug them constantly asking how much everything is. They recently got flavor emulsions in, I got the Princess Cake one. I don't know of any other stores in the area though :/

Minstrelmiss Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:52am
post #13 of 13

Maybe I just need to exercise a wee bit more patience with Capaco/Top of the Cake...I saw the Loranns last time I was in and am happy to say, I feel my asking for it every week may be why they have it now icon_smile.gif I'm sure I'm not the only reason but either way, I'm pleased icon_biggrin.gif

Hi lasidus1 and KristieLee! Nice to know there are cakers nearby! I'm also in Liverpool icon_smile.gif

I'm glad to know I'm not missing some great hidden store.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%