Any Central New Yorkers Out There?

Decorating By Minstrelmiss Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 10:52am by Minstrelmiss

Minstrelmiss  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 13

Anyone from CNY? I need a cake shop bad and haven't found anything yet. I'm bored with Michaels, ACMoore, and Hobby Lobby but and tired of crazy shipping charges. Any ideas from other locals?

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif THANKS!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
 Uniqueask  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 13

I have the same problem, Where in CNY? do you live if you don"t mind me asking

chanielisalevy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 13

Give us more to go on...what do you consider central New York and then we can lead you to the right place!

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 13

hehehe....I'm right outside of Syracuse...
the real central NY, not Albany icon_wink.gif

I am planning a trip up to Global Sugar Art when hubby and I go camping next month...(me to hubby: "No, I had no idea the campsite I booked was so close to Plattsbugh icon_biggrin.gif I guess we'll have to take a trip to Global Sugar Art")

There is a place called Capaco/Top of the Cake in East Syracuse but there are no prices on ANYTHING! and the take about 2-5 minutes per item to look them up! Nice people but man, sometimes I just need a quote.

I am from lower upstate and visit family frequently so anything near the Watertown area would be helpful too. Thanks so much!

Uniqueask  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 13

I live in Oneonta

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 13

double post.... icon_redface.gif

Bijoudelanuit  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 13

Hello icon_smile.gif I'm in the Utica Rome area... have you tried Top of the Cake / Capaco in Syracuse? They don't have a lot of specialized items like GSA would, but if you're looking for basic supplies/ingredients/fondant it's a nice place! They're on New Court Ave in Syracuse, not far from the Pfaltzgraff outlet.

Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 13

icon_cry.gif Pfaltzgraff outlet is now closed icon_cry.gif

such a bummer icon_sad.gif

I am familiar with Capaco as I mentioned but they drive me crazy with no prices! I get some items form them like packaging and such....I think I just have a dream store in my mind...day dreaming of a perfect cake world icon_rolleyes.gif

peg818  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #9 of 13

frankly if you are planning a trip to plattsburgh, take a list with you, cause otherwise you will spend a fortune.

Global is the best cake shop i've ever had the pleasure of being in.

BTW: i'm over by albany.

Bijoudelanuit  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 13

I had no idea the outlet closed! I used to love stopping in there! I didn't read the whole thread earlier and missed that you had been there. (Sorry- suffering brain burnout at the end of the school year- 1 1/2 days more with the kids!!!) I don't know of any other stores other than the one... There is Smith Restaurant supply in Syracuse on Erie Blvd- they might be able to order for you if you have a list of things you needed...

KristieLee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristieLee Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #11 of 13

I was going to say Smith Restaurant Supply as well. I grew up in CNY (Liverpool), but now live in CFL... a lot of my family is still up there, so I'll ask my Grandma (fellow baker) if she knows of any place.

lasidus1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #12 of 13

I like Capaco, I'm in Syracuse. The no price thing does drive me a little nuts, but eh, I just bug them constantly asking how much everything is. They recently got flavor emulsions in, I got the Princess Cake one. I don't know of any other stores in the area though :/

Minstrelmiss Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:52am
post #13 of 13

Maybe I just need to exercise a wee bit more patience with Capaco/Top of the Cake...I saw the Loranns last time I was in and am happy to say, I feel my asking for it every week may be why they have it now icon_smile.gif I'm sure I'm not the only reason but either way, I'm pleased icon_biggrin.gif

Hi lasidus1 and KristieLee! Nice to know there are cakers nearby! I'm also in Liverpool icon_smile.gif

I'm glad to know I'm not missing some great hidden store.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%