Trying To Make Chocolate Mmf, Doesn't Look Right-Help!

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm by mbt4955

Sassy74 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 2

OK, so I substituted 1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa for 1/2 cup ps (didn't have any more cocoa...sigh), because I need black fondant and didn't want to have to knead a ton of gel into the mmf. Never made choco mmf.

Also, instead of using my KA mixer, I worked the fondant on my counter top by hand, which I've also never done. Just don't want to work my mixer any harder than I have to icon_smile.gif

So, I used the mmf recipe, but I added 3 1/2 Tbs water along with the flavor because I know from experience that I need more than 2. I sifted the ps/cocoa mixer out onto my clean, lightly greased counter, poured the m'mallows/water/flavor into the center and started kneading. It came together quickly, but it didn't even absorb all of the ps/cocoa (all but maybe 1/2 cup), and I had to add about 1 tsp shortening because it was too dry.

The problem is that it didn't come out as smooth as the regular. It even has a sort of grainy look to it, and it still feels pretty stiff, but I didn't want to add more shortening. I'm letting it rest, and I'll roll it out tomorrow, but I'm a little concerned. What does the cocoa do to the texture? For those of you who knead your mmf by hand, how long do you knead? I went about 5-7 minutes.

Any advice/input y'all can offer is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

1 reply
mbt4955 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 2

I've always done my MMF by hand, but I honestly couldn't tell you how long I knead it. For the chocolate batch that I made into black, I used ideas from another thread and didn't add any water, but put 1/2 c shortening in with my marshmallows as they were melting. It seems to be fine.

I haven't tried to cover a cake with it, but I'm not planning to cover a cake with it. It will be used for decorations and the borders. I did pull some out for pearl clay and didn't notice any problem.

I've read so many posts about adding cocoa to fondant that I just can't imagine that it would mess it up. I'll be curious to see how it is tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%