Dark Colors With Buttercream And Fondant

Decorating By Peanut1027 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm by tiggy2

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All: I'm new to cake decorating and I think I really missed my calling. I love doing it and learning all about it icon_biggrin.gif I have been using Wiltons concentrated pastes and I can not get dark vibrant colors no matter what I try. I've added so much color it's changed the consistancy to both my fondant and buttercream. Could someone please let me know what I am doing wrong. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 5

For one, Americolor is better than Wilton. Also - what colors specifically? If you need black it's easier to start with chocolate icing or fondant, though I know sometimes you just don't want chocolate! Americolor has super black and super red, so you use less and it's less likely to change the consistency. Also, sometimes I'll use a little less liquid if I know I'm going to be putting a lot of the gel color in. No matter what, though, using a lot of color will change the consistency some.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 5

You may need to add a little powdered sugar to firm your bc or fondant back up--but just a little at the time.

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info icon_biggrin.gif I was trying to make blacks, dark purples and blues . I needed such a dark color the fondant became sticky and cracking. plus very hard to work with.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 5

Chefmaster is the best color I have found. It's concentrated so you use very little and you get dark colors instantly. There is no waiting for them to intensify and there is no bitter taste. Do a google search and you will find websites that sell them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%