Chocolate Mm Fondant??

Decorating By cakeheart Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm by smee77

cakeheart Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 6

I would like a darker brown color fondant but i can never get a dark brown when i dye my fondant...
I saw a recipe for chocolate fondant but I am worried it will crack too much. Has anyone ever used it? How did it turn out?
or does anyone have any ideas on how to dye the fondant a darker brown without an airbrush?

5 replies
mbt4955 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

I was trying to make black fondant for a wedding cake. The MMF worked great. I added 3/4 c of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa to my powdered sugar before adding the marshmallows. I don't use a specific amount of powdered sugar, but just what it needs. I did use less sugar than normal, so I'm sure it was because of the cocoa. You would need to try it because I don't know how dark the cocoa would make it. Since I was going for black, I had already added more color before I got close to the end.

BTW, a couple of BIG squirts of Super Black and I am set!

crystalina1977 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 6

i used rhonda's ultimate recipe (changed the extracts and amounts a little) and added some cocoa in place of about 1 cup of powdered sugar and it came out very chocolate-y and it did not crack. i think the next time i make chocolate i will start with maybe 1/2 cup and move up from there if needed.

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 6

I've made it several times. I just replace some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder...usually about 3/4 cup cocoa powder to replace 1 cup powdered sugar. I used Hershey's special dark cocoa powder once and it came out very dark, almost black. I used Guittard cocoa rouge another time and it was a medium brown and tasted just like tootsie rolls.

cakeheart Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:00am
post #5 of 6

thank you for all the help!!

smee77 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 6

I use the True Black MMF recipe and just don't add the coloring. Great chocolate flavor and very easy to make. My kids stalk me for the scraps lol..

Quote by @%username% on %date%