Totally Topsy Turvy Came Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 1:17am by MrsLev557

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #31 of 52

tee hee hee! glad you all are enjoying the bloopers. can you hear Wendy and Todd and Trish in the background? We do have a good time when we shoot.

I am so thrilled you giys like the DVD. show me those Topsy cakes now!!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #32 of 52

Hi, Sharon

I'm saving my $ so I can buy it at ICES...

do you explain how to do ganashe under the fondant?

Do you explain how to make it?

I've never had sucess with ganashe so that sounds wonderful

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #33 of 52

I could have used this DVD this past week end. Made my first topsy turvey and it looked horrible, the day before the party I had to start making a new one and I tried the stacked version without carving. It looked great and I delivered it perfectly no problems. I got a call from the birthday girls mom and she told me they went to move the cake and the two top tiers fell off. I could have died. It was perfect at home, I actually moved it a few times and I put it in my car and drove all the way there. Not sure but feeling a little bad.

sugarshack Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #34 of 52

hmmmm, if it made it all the way there, makes me wonder what they did to it?

but i never do the uncarved type, so I am not sure how stable they are.

Try "my" way (not really mine cuz I learned from many others) and u will see how stable they are.

Good luck!

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #35 of 52

To the PP....yes, she gives all the secrets and recipe for the ganache....great step by step directions!

What's next Sharon?! Do tell!!!!!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #36 of 52

Definitly Sharon, I will be getting your DVD's on this. Your cakes are incredible.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #37 of 52

I have a question. .. I would love to buy the DVD, but is it necessary to buy all the tools recommended. Not that I wouldn't love to, but I can't really afford everything right now.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #38 of 52

I just finished watching mine!!!!! Now I need to find a way to HAVE to make one. Another great video Sharon.

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #39 of 52

I will order mine today icon_smile.gif. In what video does she teach how to do the quilting effect on the cakes (on both, bc icing and fondant)?. I would like to buy that one to.

Veronica

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #40 of 52

I am so excited I ordered mine yesterday along with the boxes and bows!! yay i cant wait!!

sugarshack Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoCakesinTX

To the PP....yes, she gives all the secrets and recipe for the ganache....great step by step directions!

What's next Sharon?! Do tell!!!!!

Oh, you are trying to kill me? hahahahaha

not sure yet. maybe one one on sheet cake/specialty techniques?

sugarshack Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I have a question. .. I would love to buy the DVD, but is it necessary to buy all the tools recommended. Not that I wouldn't love to, but I can't really afford everything right now.

no, it is not necessary. you will need some of the tools if you want to do the exact decorations I do, but to learn the construction of them you do not.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #43 of 52

Thanks Sharon - I am ordering mine right now!

Weimtigress319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Weimtigress319 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #44 of 52

I got mine last week and I just finished the second disc last night.

I LOVED it!

The outtakes were PRICELESS icon_lol.gif

I have a friend who is demanding a topsy turvy cake for her birthday in January, so I have lots of time to practice. No one else has asked me for one. I have a feeling I'll be making practice cakes and taking them to the local fire station. We were (are) supposed to have dinner together next week and watch the DVD together, and she thinks I have not watched it yet. icon_wink.gif I couldn't wait!

PS. Sharon, I would LOVE a video on sheet cakes & other specialty techniques (image transfers, etc). That's mostly what I get asked to make, sheet cakes and 1 tier birthday cakes.

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #45 of 52

I agree w/ the PP. A DVD w/ FBCT and chocolate transfers and various sheet cake ideas...etc.

I'm starting Topsy Turvy for the 2nd time tonight......icon_smile.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm
post #46 of 52

I loved the DVD (no surprise)! Love how she shows how to use the ganache under the fondant covered cakes.
The only part I had problems understanding was cutting the top, slant of the cake. I'll have to watch it several times before I hopefully get it. I don't have an Agbay, so I'll have to use a knife or my wilton levelericon_sad.gif
Where can I find those plastic, corrugated cake circles she uses? I use the cardboard rounds, but it's difficult to remove the tier to stack.

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:13pm
post #47 of 52

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

check the supply list card for the tuff board link icon_smile.gif

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #48 of 52

I love the DVD!! Have a question about the ganached covered cakes - can they be refrigerated instead? I don't keep my air conditioner turned that low (68-70) although in this Texas heat it would be quite nice - I'd just hate to see my electric bill!!!LOL
Wanda

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #49 of 52

I have not done it, but I assume it would be the same as refrigerating any other fondant cake?

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #50 of 52

Does anyone know if a ganache covered cake (without the fondant) could be placed in the freezer? Would the ganache crack when the cake thawed?
Also, does how well does the cake hold up to traveling if it's totally assembled using the bubble straws & wooden dowels?
Sorry for all the questions. icon_redface.gif

sugarshack Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #51 of 52

i dont know about the freezing, but these travel great! very sturdy if done correctly!

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #52 of 52

Soooooo I tried to make a topsy turvy cake and it did not go so well... When she says firm cake - she means firm cake. I make a enhanced cake mix cake with butter that a guess is more moist then I thought. The bottom layer was a 12 inch and after it sat for a while it started to crack, the top was a 8 inch and that cracked in half as soon as I cut it. I tossed the entire cake in the trash (after thoughts I should have made cake balls) and baked another one and decided not to do the topsy turvy, I did not have enough time to rebake the bottom layer I just prayed it did not crack all the way - and Thank God it did not.

The cake was for my daughters and her cousins graduation & 18th birthday, the school colors are grey & blue, the cake is covered in buttercream, fondant accents, the letters is for the HS and the school initials for the college they are both attending under their names. The hat was cake with fondant covered board and the cupcake was RKT, it was late so at the time the cupcake looked more marble then it actual was.

Everyone loved it... I saw all the mistakes and learned alot from it. So now I need to start trying different recipes so I can really do a topsy turvy cake!!! The DVD is awesome I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!!!

This is the link to my photo under graduation cakes

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1400608

Happy Baking.... Shirl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%