Painting On Gumpaste Emergency!!!

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm by tonia3604

tonia3604 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make black numbers out of gumpaste for the top of a cake. I tinted to gumpaste black, it looked fine. I rolled it out and cut the numbers and when it dried it was light gray. (I assume to some degree this was due to using cornstarch to prevent sticking). So I tried to paint the numbers with Americolor black and the surface starts getting gummy after going over it more than once, which can't be avoided. Then it dries green in the spots where it got gummy.

I did try painting them not long after cutting them, so maybe the numbers just aren't dry enough to paint yet? Will it work better if the gumpaste has longer to dry and harden?

Or, anybody have another suggestion for how to paint them black?

4 replies
beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 5

Next time, if the gumpaste color is ok, you can dust the cornstarch off with a brush. If it still shows the dust, you can lightly brush vodka on and it will remove it.

Not sure if it has to be dry to paint on it. I always wait until it is. Did you thin the americolor too much? Also, it has to dry in between coats or it will lift off what you already painted.

mnunez Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 5

try adding vodka to the americolor and let it dry before you paint as well as in between coats as bethcakes said...hope this helps icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 5

You need to let it dry completely before painting it. I had the same issue when I did the area rug for my "toe"cake. it is hard to walk away and not touch it before it is ready but you will be much happier. Also, you may wnat to dry just wiping the numbers with some shortening (jsut a bit) and see if the color looks better to you.

tonia3604 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 5

I didn't thin the Americolor at all before trying to paint. How much do you thin it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%