Message..."i Just Need A Really Easy Cake For This Satu

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm by costumeczar

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 11

Got a message on my machine this morning. Here is what it said...

Hi Kelly, I need a really easy cake for this Sat....half sheet...all vanilla...with buttercream....and the Eiffle Tower on one said and the Golden Gate Bridge on the other..........." icon_eek.gif

If this is easy, I would hate to know what difficult is...AND...it is Thursday where I live...and she wants it for Sat.

I called her back and told her I couldn't do it - and told her an easy cake would be a plain cake with a few roses on it.

Thought I would share...! I am afraid reality TV has made cake decorating look easy. icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 11

People just don't understand that cakes take time. I ignore those people.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 11

What, she didn't want the Washington Monument in the middle? People really do think we pull cakes out of our a$$.

vampy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vampy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 11

that is entirely too funny i would of gone to the nearest toy shop made the cake and stuck the figurines on top, she didnt specify that they had to be made of of cake....lol

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 11

To be fair, maybe she meant an edible image. Then that would have been achieveable, surely. Did you check what she meant?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

To be fair, maybe she meant an edible image. Then that would have been achieveable, surely. Did you check what she meant?

You know, I wouldn't care what she meant. She obviously has no idea what an "easy" cake is. This is the equivalent of my "....simple cake, just a volcano cake with a monkey band crawling up the side ... but no instruments, you dont' have to make those ... so since you dont' have to make those, I get a discount, right?" icon_confused.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 11

Now that is just a great situation where an airbrush and overhead projector come in handy! Grab each picture off the internet....print it out....frost cake...put picture in overhead projector....draw picture....color....add a border...I'm done! Actually faster than a few roses most of the time for me! Love my airbrush just for quick cakes like that could be!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 11

I agree w/bisbqueenb icon_smile.gif
It certainly could be an easy, quick sheet and an extra 60 buckos.
That is if you don't have 6 weddings, 10 birthdays, 2 baby showers and 7 baptism cakes to do icon_smile.gif

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry, not easy for me. I already have 2 orders this weekend. This is a speciality cake no matter how she wanted it. Any speciality cakes take more time than a cake that says Happy Birthday with a pretty border. Plus, like I said, it is Thursday and she wants it for Saturday. I don't know too many businesses who can give you a speciality cake that fast.

I didn't ask her to clarify, I am simply booked, but I still had to laugh and share.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

Now that is just a great situation where an airbrush and overhead projector come in handy! Grab each picture off the internet....print it out....frost cake...put picture in overhead projector....draw picture....color....add a border...I'm done! Actually faster than a few roses most of the time for me! Love my airbrush just for quick cakes like that could be!

Ya know most people DON'T have an over head projector. I find them a pain actually the minute your hand goes over the picture you lose the picture because you just created a shadow. To me they aren't worth the money or effort.

OP - you did the right thing to tell her you were booked and to educate her on the fact that her request is NOT under the definition of simple!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 11

You could have told her that it is simple...She can go to the grocery store and buy flour, eggs, butter, milk, etc., and whip up that "easy" cake herself! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%