Okay-- Just How Hard Is It To Construct A Topsy-Turvy Cake??

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm by Loucinda

cupcakeco Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 6

Never tried my hand at a topsy turvy, but read all of the threads on how they go together and such. It seems like a simple process, but I'd like to ask of people who've actually made them-- was it difficult? Was it a pain in the butt?

Or does it just look scarier than it actually is?

And once constructed, are they any less sturdy than a regular stacked cake?

5 replies
krissycupcakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 6

ok so i made my first topsy with out really paying enough attention to the tutorial and with no sleep, and it came out great so it might have been luck or it might be easy but i will say it was a very sturdy. make sure theres alot of support and watch the tutorial youll be fine!!

kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 6

It depends on which method you use.
There are other threads that show how; tutorials; hints, suggestions.
SugarShack (Sharon) has a step-by-step on her blog using the wedge method. To me that would be the simplest.

SJ169 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 6

Hey! it's really not that hard,

watch this video by jsmith! it is soo helpfull i watched it like 20times before i did my first topsy turvy and didnt have any problems at all!!

also make sure you freeze the cakes and then carve them while they are still partially frozen.
Hope that helps!
Good luck

mariela_ms Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 6

I used the tutorial on here, but I did only a 2 tier topsy turvy, And I didn't carve the bottoms of the cakes to make them look smaller than the tops, and it was easy. I want to go all the way with the carved bottoms and make it a three tier someday!

Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 6

they are a little more time consuming, but not that hard - just make sure you have a sturdy support system (like any other stacked cake) and you're good to go.

If you are doing the way that carves the hole for the next tier to set in, just make sure you cut the whole large enough for that next tier! (I tended to err on the smaller side for my first one and had to RE cut that hole) that was my only issue with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%