3D Cakes

Business By Kitagrl Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm by SugaredUp

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 10

Wow, I'm beginning to see the wisdom of just a blanket pricing on 3D cakes. I've still been sticking to "per serving"...even though they go up as much as $10 serving.

However this weekend I'm doing a $10/serving cake and its so much work (includes some styrofoam in the structure) that the $300 I'm getting doesn't seem like much at all, seeing as how I could get twice that (or more) for a wedding cake that took the same amount of time. The longer I spend fiddling with this cake, the more money I see floating out the window!

Not only that, but TWICE this week...TWICE....I had people tell me that I am dirt cheap for my 3D work. My shoebox cake (which I did underquote for this one particular guy, was multitasking and forgot I have a minimum order), this one guy called around and got quotes four times what mine was for a 15 serving cake (local quotes were $300-$400 for 15 servings!). Another cake quote someone told me was excellent compared to the others in the area.

HEYYYYYY I am gonna totally raise my 3D prices! Man. Although as well this week I had somebody say I was too expensive. haha.

9 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 10

If everyone is telling you that other cake places are charging more, sounds like you need to charge more.

Don't worry, some people are always going to think that you charge too much!

Kitagrl Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 10

Actually for some reason my weekend is full of undercharged cakes this time! I can tell when I start getting grumpy about doing cake, that I undercharged. haha.

My prices are decent (not cheap) but obviously the competition is less for the sculpted kind, so maybe I can charge more.

Although I know of quite a few home bakers around that also make sculpted cake.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 10

Kitagirl, I'm right with you on this! Not only did I have the customer from total hell last month - who won't just go away already with the repeated emails on an almost daily basis despite me bending over backwards for her at every turn - but I had a VERY busy week this week which in the end, didn't make me enough to justify no sleep for 3 straight days...

I also was sticking to my "no minimum order necessary" on 3-Ds. BUT I've changed my mind, and now I realize why so many CC'ers require a minimum. I'm so elated that I have a new pricing structure on these cakes. Like you, so many people either can't get what I do anywhere else, or say the price is astronomical (one high end place around here has a $500 minimum). So - as of today, I have decided to implement my new $250 minimum order on all 3-Ds. That's for 20 servings. If they want more than $20, it will be priced at $4.25+ depending on detail. My costs alone are not enough to cover $100 cake just because it only feeds 10 people.

There are some people who won't pay it, but I can talk them into something just as cute that doesn't have to do tricks necessarily. Ya know?

I love my new decision! You should do it, too. What are you thinking of making your new minimum?

Amber

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 10

Wow you should carge more.......your work is amazing! thumbs_up.gif I clicked on your link. Very beautiful work, if they want it they will be willing to pay.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 10

My minimum is $150....but sometimes I forget I have that rule! That's for 15-20 servings and depending on design as well.

I did the Nittany Lion this weekend in my pix....charged $300 and in the end I would have preferred $500 as it took just as much work as a wedding cake that I would have charged that much for.

My bad part was I did add styrofoam into it (try not to, but had to for that one) and I forgot to charge for styrofoam "servings".

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with all of you. Since Ace of Cakes and the Food Network Challenge programs people have begun to ask more frequently for 3D cakes. It's time that all of you talented cake decorators start charging accordingly.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeemom

Wow you should carge more.......your work is amazing! thumbs_up.gif I clicked on your link. Very beautiful work, if they want it they will be willing to pay.

Awww thanks so much!

I'm working on finding my niche and raising prices. I've been gradually raising them over the past few years, I think it might be time to raise some prices again, mostly 3D work.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicake

I agree with all of you. Since Ace of Cakes and the Food Network Challenge programs people have begun to ask more frequently for 3D cakes. It's time that all of you talented cake decorators start charging accordingly.

We do have them to thank for making our "art form" more in demand!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 10

I agree. The last thing we should want is for 3-D cakes to become so easily obtainable (a/k/a cheap) that they are standard. They are special, way more work, so I think they should cost more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%