Pattern On Smbc

Decorating By ChefStef Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm by __Jamie__

ChefStef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefStef Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 2

Hello All....I have a wedding cake coming up in August and wanted your advice on the best way to make a damask pattern on SMBC. The picture the bride sent me seems to look like the pattern is "raised". Wondering if putting the cake in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up the BC, and then using a stencil to add frosting overtop would result in a decent looking relief pattern. What do you think? TIA Stef

PS...This cake is one that the bride likes but it looks to be fondant covered. I believe this cake was from a member, but don't know who...my apologies.
LL

1 reply
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 2

That almost looks like brush embroidery work. I would think that even if you worked as fast as you could, with a cake as cold as you could get it, the stencil is gonna "glue" itself to the icing, just from the condensation that will start forming immediately upon removing it from the fridge. I don't know, but I use SMBC, and it gets pretty dewey as soon as I take it outta the fridge.

Then, I think you would have to almost wiggle the stencil to break the "suction" from the icing....and would smear the design you just made, and/or pull up icing. Even though it's still gonna be hard as a rock, the very top layer is going to soften up. Especially whn something is touching it. I may be way off base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%