What Am I Doing Wrong With Pasta Roller?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm by kakeladi

chanielisalevy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 13

I got a pasta roller 2 years ago and just got the motor for it. My problem always has been that the fondant never comes off the rollers smooth. It is bumpy and jagged at the edges. I always have to reroll it with a rolling pn after it comes out of the machine, either manually or with the motor. Should I knead in some crisco? put crisco on the rollers? Is it the fondant I use? (Satin Ice and WIlton, both same problem) HELP! Everyone says the pasta machine is a time saver, but so far I think I hate it. Thansk for any advice.

12 replies
mcalhoun Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 13

Me to I have the same problem!

PinkZiab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 13

I love my pasta roller... I do knead some shortening in if the fondant or gumpaste is stiff, but I sprinkle the rollers with cornstarch. Also, make sure you start rolling on the thickest setting and work your way down to the thinner setting... don't just set it to the thinnest setting and try to roll the fondant through.

I couldn't live without it, honestly. Someday I hope to have a full-size sheeter (I got spoiled using one during my internship!)

jammjenks Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 13

Are you putting it through when it is too thick? Roll it out until it is close to the thickness you will need and then put it through. I dust it well with ps to make sure it doesn't stick. For darker colors, I have used crisco but I prefer ps.

kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 13

Yes, it's tricky to get used to using a pasta machineicon_smile.gif

As has been suggested you need to roll/flatten the paste well and start on the thickest opening of the machine.
Take a hint from the people who put much 'dough' thru pasta machines - polymer clay users - and run each piece thru the roller *7* times. It is amazing how much thinner and nice the fondant will be when you take the time to do this.
If the edges are ragged, cut them off - then roll it thru the machine again icon_smile.gif

jillangel Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 13

After mine comes out I fold it in half then reinsert after turning the fondant 1/2 turn so one of the jagged sides is going through first and I keep rotating like this and after a few times all sides are good. HTH and I hope that makes sense.

chanielisalevy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Yes, it's tricky to get used to using a pasta machineicon_smile.gif

As has been suggested you need to roll/flatten the paste well and start on the thickest opening of the machine.
Take a hint from the people who put much 'dough' thru pasta machines - polymer clay users - and run each piece thru the roller *7* times. It is amazing how much thinner and nice the fondant will be when you take the time to do this.
If the edges are ragged, cut them off - then roll it thru the machine again icon_smile.gif

ok, so I'll try this and the other suggestions, but after all that work, why even bother with the machine!?! smile -- I'll let you know how it goes Thanks

peg818 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #8 of 13

Why bother with the machine,

Well is for consistency, Thats what i use it for, if i'm making say lace pieces to go around my cake i want them to all be the same thickness, and the easiest way to make sure the fondant is all the same is to use the pasta machine.

IDoCakesinTX Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #9 of 13

I'm kind of high-jacking this....but will the KA pasta attachment work ok? Or is a stand alone the best option?

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #10 of 13

I love my pasta machine. Just trim the edges. It's the only way to make ribbon.

jillangel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #11 of 13

I have the KA Pasta attachment and LOVE it. Right now the best deal is from SurLaTable .com. You get the roller and fettucine cutter for $69.99. Most places the roller alone is at least that and this combo runs 129.99. So what the heck you may decide to make fettucine but I like it because it cuts even strips of fondant thin fettucine size.

IDoCakesinTX Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #12 of 13

Thanks!

I just wasn't sure if the fondant would stretch too much b/c the attachment is up so high......also.....can you get strips as wide w/ the KA attachment as w/ a stand alone?

kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 13

.... wasn't sure if the fondant would stretch too much b/c the attachment is up so high....also...can you get strips as wide w/ the KA attachment as w/ a stand alone?....

Yes, it basically is the same size as a stand alone. I loved, Loved, LOVED mine until I broke it icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%