Filling/dowels?

Decorating By sister340 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm by sister340

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 10

It seems like many of you (thanks so much for replying to my novice questions) fill your wedding cake layers. I just can't "get my head around" how you fill those layers and still make it sturdy. Filling and doweling? How would that work?

9 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 10

It may seem like it wouldn't work, but it does. The doweling does help keep things more sturdy. I personally wouldn't want a cake that hadn't been filled - I don't think anyone does it that way. It looks so nice when you cut into it and there are filled layers of cake! Don't worry, it will work! lol

sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 10

So what are your favorite fillings? And is this what you do? A teacher once said to make a frosting "dam" on the bottom layer and put the filling in it. then place the second layer on it, crumb coat then fondant? Do you like the buttercream fresh and sticky or "crusted" before putting the fondant on? then place the dowels through the fondant, right? On the 5 layer cake I recently did I did layer length dowels in each of the bottom 4 layers and one dowel through the center of the bottom 3 and another through the top two. The cake seemed sturdy enough. I also used double cake rounds under most of the layers, I had read that with a tall cake, two are better.

I'm surprised that almost everyone fills their wedding cakes. Didn't know that.

So much to learn.......................

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 10

I guess I need to ask what are you calling "filled"? Are all of your wedding cakes in your area only one layer? If they are two layer cakes, then you've pretty much got to have a filling of some sort to hold the two cakes together. icon_confused.gif I'm a little confused.

sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 10

I see why you are confused. My lack of terminology probably doesn't help. When I think of filling, I think of raspberry filling between two layers. Are we talking just the layer of frosting between the layers of the same size? Just a thin layer, or thick? What do you refer to as Filling? Thanks for your patience.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 10

If your cakes are dowelled correctly then you really don't need to have two boards between high tiered cakes.

By dowelled correctly i mean spaced evenly for each layer -

Are your cakes usually 3inches or 4inches high?...before you torte them i mean.

Altho in saying (typing) all of that it really does vary from country to country - i read alot on here that we Australians don't do compared to the USA
Same as fillings and actual methods of covering...
icon_redface.gif i digress - icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 10

I do this as a hobby, but have been at it and on CC for long enough to have learned a lot from all the great people here! icon_smile.gif My favorite filling is using a packet of pudding (whatever flavor I want) and some whipping cream and whipping them together - it's delicious! You can also stir in fruit fillings if that's what you're looking for. When I make my french meringue BC, though, a lot of times I use that as the filling too - I have people request it that way! You can also just use your regular BC as your filling, I think there are quite a few people who do it that way too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sister340

I see why you are confused. My lack of terminology probably doesn't help. When I think of filling, I think of raspberry filling between two layers. Are we talking just the layer of frosting between the layers of the same size? Just a thin layer, or thick? What do you refer to as Filling? Thanks for your patience.

Filling: The stuff that is between the cakes. This can be a fruit filling, mousse, curd, or plain icing.

Icing: The stuff on the outside of the cake, which can also be used as a filling.

I get this from brides, too. They tell me "I dont' want any filling" and I'd tell them, "Darlin' you have to have a filling to hold the two cakes together". I finally understood that they meant no FRUIT filling .... just plain regular icing.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

They tell me "I dont' want any filling" and I'd tell them, "Darlin' you have to have a filling to hold the two cakes together". I finally understood that they meant no FRUIT filling .... just plain regular icing.

When i first came on CC this confused me as well, because I would see people posting things like "I've been doing cakes for XX years and have never used any fillings... what do you suggest?" And I thought to myself "All those years and they've been stacking all those cakes together DRY??" lol It took me a while to realize that people don't refer to "buttercream" as a filling.

Technically speaking, anything between two layers of cake is a filling, buttercream, mousse, fruit, or otherwise.

sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 10

Well that helps, thanks. I learned something else today at CC. princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%