Fillings - Whipped Cream With Blueberries? Advice?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 2:36am by sweet_2th_fairy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 11

I would like to make a cake with a whipped cream filling with fresh blueberries. I have a few questions...

1. Anyone have a good stabilized whipped cream recipe that does NOT include piping gel or cream cheese?
2. Should I just fold the blueberries into the whipped cream or should I slice them first?
3. Will the whipped cream and fresh blueberry combination be too tart?
4. How far in advance can I fill and frost this cake (the outside frosting will be whipped cream, too)?
5. What is the best way to put gumpaste decorations on a whipped cream frosted cake? If I put them on directly, will the gumpaste get yucky? icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

10 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 11

Can't help you with all of your questions, but whipped cream &blueberries are nice together!

you can buy a stabilizer (it's a powder) in cake shops or online. I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if i'm wrong) stabilized whipped cream can't stay that long out of the fridge?

I think GP might absorb moisture from tehe whipped cream?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 11

I use gelatin to stabilize my whipped cream. I would not cut the blueberries. Whipped cream cakes are generally best served the day they are made, or the next day. After that, you're really pushing your luck. Gumpaste and fondant do not work well with whipped cream.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 11

oh! Thanks for asking this question for me! I am planning on making a lemon cake with powdered instant whipped topping and blueberries. Sounds soooooo good :drool:

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 11

PinkZiab,

What kind of gelatin are you referring to - plain Knox gelatin. What ratio do you use? Do you just dump it in dry after you have whipped the cream to the desired consistency?

Thanks

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I will make the whipped cream tomorrow (the day of the baby shower). I already made the gumpaste decorations. icon_sad.gif Is there any way that I can place them on the cake without them getting ruined? Should I make a gumpaste platform and place the objects on that and then place the platform on the cake? (This way only the platform gets ruined?)

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 11

I use sheet gelatin, but you can use regular powdered gelatin as well, but you must bloom it in cold water first.

For every cup of cream (unwhipped) use 1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin soaked in 1 tablespoon cold water.

Place water in a small pan and sprinkle plain gelatin over the surface and let it sit for a few minutes while the gelatin absorbs the water (5 minutes or so). Stir the gelatin over very low heat, until completely dissolved (DO NOT let the gelatin mixture boil or it won't gel properly). Let cool, but not get cold

Whip the cream until it begins to hold some shape (but no peaks). Add cooled gelatin all at once to cream WHILE CONTINUING TO WHIP (you must keep whipping while you add the gelatin or you will get gelatin strands in the cream). Continue whipping to desired consistency.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 11

I swear, you know everything Pink!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 11

It's that Pastry Chef in her

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:03am
post #10 of 11

You can also stabilize whipped cream with ClearJel A. I've used this for many years with home canning because it doesn't separate even with high heat and acidic foods, won't weep, and won't get grainy or separate if frozen. Dissolve it in your cream first and then whip. Should stabilize for at least 24 hours and probably longer. Last I knew you could get it on Amazon. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #11 of 11

Sorry...I have 1 more question...how many cups of whipped cream would I need to do a cake that consists of 1 cake box? Also, any tips on how to attach the gumpaste decorations to whipped cream without ruining them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%